| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PCB Design Internship(Needed)

barismetin , 11-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Hi my name is Baris, and I am a senior electrical engineering
MarylinPurtill , 11-20-2019, 07:57 AM
You should see such opportunities at Linkedin. Or can also see France based online job portals as well.
Paul van Avesaath , 11-26-2019, 03:46 AM
I saw SpaceX is hiring PCB designers you will have to move to america though !
robertferanec , 11-27-2019, 08:38 AM
I saw SpaceX is hiring PCB designers
I saw that advert too
Paul van Avesaath , 11-28-2019, 03:42 AM
I do not think it would be easy (goverment shit) , but damn I would love to make something that goes into space.. either falcon, dragon, starhopper, starlink or getting stuff onto Mars... I dont care..
just looking up in the sky and knowing something i made is out there.. (yes I am a space geek) but the requirements seem reasonable..

i looked into E.S.A and others sattelite manufacturers but no luck yet.. not that i am looking really hard, because wel.. life, family, all that stuff.. but if i was just starting with this.. damn.. yes I would!
Cern is also a cool place to go..

its good to have dreams in any case.
Mihai , 11-29-2019, 02:52 AM
Hi @Paul van Avesaath,

When designing hardware which goes to space, the main concern is the reliability of the electronics in that environment, due to radiation background. I am doing my PhD thesis in this area by evaluating various COTS devices (FPGAs and ASICs) to be used in space and accelerator applications (e.g. CERN). However, for me is quite an exciting job, as really bad/interesting stuff can happen while the device is exposed to radiation, and I have to think/expect these kind of event in order to design a reliable test bench to sense that kind of stuff. Here is a public presentation done by me 2 years ago at a conference in Santa Cruz: click

Cheers,
Mihai
Paul van Avesaath , 11-29-2019, 03:20 AM
wow that seems an extensive and expensive bit of testing i see there.. wouldn't it be cheaper for cern to build a readiationfree box that would shield internal components like that?
anyway.. when it comes to space you also need to think about outgassing of components and PCB's for vacuum and extreme temperature fluctuations. not ony radiation.
if you look at the james webb development.. damn that are some tight specs for in space

Currently working for ASML and that is also pushing the limits of what is humanly capable.. in some cases I think it is easier shooting something into space #EUVisthewayofthefuture
Mihai , 11-29-2019, 03:57 AM
Indeed, in space you will have to deal also to high temperature fluctuations, and also with the power budget. In our experiment we do not care for temperature variations as we have a cooling system to keep the temperature around 20-25 degr. C. Hence, we deal only with radiation. We cannot shield the electronics with a black box, as it may be really expensive and/or impossible. To use radiation hard components (e.g Radiation hard FPGAs, not military or space grade) in CERN environments is so much expensive, as there can be a factor of 1000 in the price between a COTS FPGA and radiation hard version, and most of them will not even work due to high radiation doses in some regions. And what you do when you will have to use 1000s of these FPGAs? For decades people investigated the possibility of using commercial devices in such environments due to their lower price. You can use them if you ensure some mitigation techniques both in logic (firmware) and hardware to prevent radiation-induced failures to affect your system. And for that people invest a lot into radiation testing, evaluating and extrapolating the results to their application environment. Then you will have to worry for other stuffs in your system like power supplies, transmission links etc.

For a few of them, CERN designed their own radiation hard solutions:
-power supply:click
-data transmission: click
-system control: click

Cheers,
Mihai
robertferanec , 12-02-2019, 02:41 AM
Very interesting @Mihai, thank you for sharing.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?