| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PCB Librarian Versus PCB Layout Designer

Louiseworks Inc. , 09-28-2020, 07:08 PM
As I have mentioned on this forum previously, I have worked for a few years in the aerospace field as a Component Engineer. I am still learning a lot of PCB layout skills. I have begun working to lay out boards for my current companies test station following taking an Altium Design course through FEDEVEL Academy. I am learning Mentor PADs now, but have not used Mentor Expedition or EDM. I am going into an interview for a PCB Librarian Position, but I have a few questions:
  • What is the difference in the pay and longterm prospects between a PCB Librarian and a PCB Layout Designer?
  • How monotonous is footprint library management compared to layout work?
  • What is the perception of these librarian positions from the outside? Is this considered a design role or something more auxiliary like an Engineering Service?
  • Has anyone occupied both a layout and librarian role that can comment on the different job experiences?
robertferanec , 10-05-2020, 09:39 AM
My opinion:

1) I can only guess, PCB Layout Designer will probably have higher salary. Of course, it may depends on what kind of PCB Librarian we are talking about (probably a librarian leader in a big company will be a different position comparing to someone who is drawing schematic symbols of footprints), but the thing is ... being a librarian may be hard for some people (it may be a very similar job every day). And it looks to me, many people start as a librarian and then they move to designer positions. But, I may be wrong.
2) People are very different. I would say, for most people it can be boring (monotonous). Some people may like that kind of job. However, once I asked who would like to be a librarian - no hand was up: https://youtu.be/6oRSN_CvoWA?t=1341
3) You do not need to be an electrical engineer to be a good librarian (you can even be a mechanical engineer). To be a really good designer, you need to understand electronics and PCB layout.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?