| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Embeded System Engineer

Nguyenvanhieu , 12-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Dear Robert,
I know you are senior embeded designer, not only in designing hardware, but also in software and system. Canyou share with me some experience you remember the most in hardware debugging, assemblingand testing? Are there any idea and advice who for who want to become more professional?. I look forward you creat a new course about: debugging, testing...
robertferanec , 12-15-2017, 11:56 AM
@Nguyenvanhieu, this is maybe a good idea for a blog post or a video. It is a very wide topic.

There are two kinds of debugging:
- Debugging when developing hardware and software
- Debugging when fixing hardware or software

What I really try to avoid is debugging when fixing hardware (debugging when something doesn't work). For complex boards, debugging is extremely expensive and time consuming. So my advice is to avoid debugging - check schematic and layout properly, think how your board is going to work and try to cover different situations (use optional components which can be fitted or unfitted to test different scenarios if something doesn't work).
Nguyenvanhieu , 12-15-2017, 08:14 PM
It is the best scenior that you check schematic and layout properly and board will run perfectly. But embeded is so complex. Have you ever face the problem like boot up? Some system may boot up not proper or requirement boot time smaller than your board does. How do you measure and optimize the time in this circumstance?

Its not relevant to the previous question but may i ask you? Why in REX board, USB_ID tie low to act that host, but you use micro AB USB? I search gg and see that, usually device attach to micro AB is a device,not a host? If we want to to use usb OTG like a host, why dont use type A?
robertferanec , 12-18-2017, 06:27 PM
It is the best scenior that you check schematic and layout properly and board will run perfectly. But embeded is so complex.
- I know. It is not easy, but, it is doable.

[Have you ever face the problem like boot. Some system may boot up not proper or requirement boot time smaller than your board does. How do you measure and optimize the time in this circumstance?
- I am not really sure what you mean ... the same hardware should boot up with the same speed - difference in boot time may be in the software?

Why in REX board, USB_ID tie low to act that host, but you use micro AB USB?
- OpenRex can be host (you can connect there USB devices) and also device (e.g. you can power OpenRex from USB port and I believe you can also add drivers to see OpenRex as a storage - but I have never tried that).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?