| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Altium Designer 19 New Layer Scheme

Roomi , 04-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Robert,

Can you prepare a video on this topic, what are those means and what information should I put in respective layers while creating library files ?

robertferanec , 04-17-2019, 08:32 AM
Assembly: Layer which is shown in Assembly documentation - usually component outline + designator (used mostly by assembly house to localize your components on PCB)
Coating: If you need to cover some areas of PCB by additional layer of something
Component Center: I guess, this shows footprint 0,0 position
Component Outline: Usually the white color on PCB around component
Courtyard: area used by component (for example to help you to be sure, that there will be no collision between two components placed too close to each other)
Designator: Component designator e.g. C1, C2, R10, U1, ...
Dimensions: dimensions of your footprint
Glue Points: if your component needs to be glued to board, you show where to apply glue
Gold Plating: I do not know exactly how this layer is used, maybe if you need for example golden fingers?
Value: value of component
3D Boady: layer where 3D model is located

Assembly notes: For assembly house which is assembling your boards
Board: I guess, that is Board Outline
Dimensions: Dimensions of your board
FAB Notes: I guess, these may be notes for PCB manfuacturer
V Cut: this is used if your boards are in panels ... it shows where they are going to be cut
Route Tool Path: I do not know ... it is probably a Path for CNC like machine, but I am not sure for what exact purpose
Sheet: I do not now

Hope this helps
Roomi , 04-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your valuable opinion as always.

I have studied and understood almost everything. Still few questions -

Component Center: Is this used for pick and place ? If so Whats the advantage of putting footprint (0,0) manually than generating the pick and place files in output job ?
Component Outline: You mean the silkscreen on top overlay?
Dimensions: you mean showing the x axis length and y axis length of each component edge ??? (Oh man, thats a tedious job defining for each footprint !! )

Can you give a example picture/footprint/project showing the following -
Assembly notes, FAB Notes, V Cut, Glue Points ?

Once again thank you very much. I am eagerly looking for your opinion.
robertferanec , 04-25-2019, 05:36 AM
I do not really use all that layers, so in some of them I was only guessing.

I tried to search for a new component in Altium Vault - to check how they use and assigned the layers. But it is very hard to find recent components - most of them were created in 2014 ... I could not find any components from 2019 ... did you find something?
Octopart is a search engine for electronic and industrial parts. Find part data, check availability, and compare prices across hundreds of distributors and thousands of manufacturers.

Roomi , 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by robertferanec
I do not really use all that layers, so in some of them I was only guessing.

I tried to search for a new component in Altium Vault - to check how they use and assigned the layers. But it is very hard to find recent components - most of them were created in 2014 ... I could not find any components from 2019 ... did you find something?
Octopart is a search engine for electronic and industrial parts. Find part data, check availability, and compare prices across hundreds of distributors and thousands of manufacturers.

Oh.

Unfortunately I dont have access to Altium Vault
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?