| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

About mating connectors

mulfycrowh , 04-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone !

I have two mating connectors.
Here attached the footprints in 2D and 3D made by a company a few months ago.
The first one is located on the rim of the board, same for the the other one on the rim of another board.
How do I place the connectors onto the PCB of each board so that they are perfectly plugged in one another ?
I would like the boards in contact (distance = 0 mm).
Thanks a lot !

robertferanec , 04-18-2019, 03:01 AM
Maybe temporarily add also 3D model of the mating connector into your footprint / board and you may be able to measure how deep you need to place the connectors in your footprints. Is that what you mean?
mulfycrowh , 04-18-2019, 03:04 AM
First of all, I ordered both connectors to see if any gap when plugged
mulfycrowh , 04-18-2019, 04:18 AM
Here attached the board.
The connectors are located on the right side (P2,P4).
Their location on X-axis is important because another board on the right side will be plugged through these connectors and I don't want any gap between both boards.
Paul van Avesaath , 04-19-2019, 05:34 AM
you should check the datasheet of the connector.. they should supply the distance between mating connectors. i would suggest some room for error.. lets say 0.5mm this way you have some wiggle room and you will not be stuck with not fully mated connectors.
mulfycrowh , 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM
In the first message I posted, I give the footprint for each connector.
What information does Altium manage to get the exact location of the connector ?
Is it the mechanical layer ?
robertferanec , 04-24-2019, 06:22 AM
What information does Altium manage to get the exact location of the connector ?
Position of component in PCB is the 0,0 position of footprint (for SMT components it is center of mass / gravity, usually the center of component or for through hole components it is often pin 1 location - check the footprint). But I am not sure if that is what you are asking about.
Paul van Avesaath , 04-24-2019, 06:45 AM
you are the creator of the footprint so you can descide how to place it.. you can check the datasheet for some kind of reference that would indicate the were the pcb will stop.. once you have that measurement you can check it with a know value. like pin "1 " location.. from there it is basic math that should do the trick. I usually add a line in my connectors with an arrow to indicate PCB edge this way i can visual dentify board edge and align accordingly
robertferanec , 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM
I usually add a line in my connectors with an arrow to indicate PCB edge
we do the same
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?