| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Via stitching

Mihai , 05-14-2019, 03:28 AM
Hi,

When routing the power supply is good or bad practice to have multiple vias to connect the GND and power rails with the PCB's internal planes in order to have a low ohmic path? See attached image.

Cheers,
Mihai

Lakshmi , 05-14-2019, 05:47 AM
Yeah It's good practice to have multiple gnd via's and Power also(Make sure via size depends on the current it carrying).
But the way you have done is placed them very close though it's not an issue try to keep regularity as in Distribute the via through out the Plane and maintain definite pitch of 1.3-1.6mm(greater than 40 mils) between the two via.
Paul van Avesaath , 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM
if you place via's this close to each other you will cut your power planes in half. also.. in some of hte cases only the outher via's will have a connection.. try to space them further apart and check you gnd/pwr planes to see if they are not affected by the amount of via's.. think about return currents that flow directly beneath the traces.. if you disturb th eplanes this much it will interfere..
stitching is good, but do not go overboard...
Mihai , 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Hi,

Thanks for suggestions. I have modified to use 0.6/0.3 mm vias for power and GND planes with a pitch between 1 mm and 2 mm were I have space. With Saturn software I see that a such vias can carry out up to 2 A, per each, hence in my case I will have maximum 3- 4 A per rail.

Cheers,
Mihai
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?