| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Allow autorouter to access keepout areas

mega128 , 06-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Hi,

This question is actually for Circuit Studio but I assume Altium designer has same functionality.

I don't have a specific board in question, just in general, I would like to make certain fills as keepout but I want autorouter to route through it.

I know it is opposite of regular way I am asking, but it is possible? For now, in my library pcb of a component, I am saving the fills another layer such as top test point before autorouting, after auto routing, I change these polygons to keepout layer. However, this is time consuming. I was wondering if there is a way in Autorouter rules or somewhere where Auto router can route through those areas. I am saving this keepouts i component footprint so I don't have to draw them manually in PCB editor.

Thanks everyone,
Mega128
robertferanec , 06-12-2019, 12:12 AM
I would recommend do not spend too much time with autorouters. They are still not good and you will achieve much better results when you just route the board manually. If your board is very simple, manual routing is very quick. If your board is very complex, autorouter will not do it properly.

PS: I was thinking to make a video about autorouters and I played with autorouters recently ... the results were not the best, so I decided do not create the videos.
mega128 , 06-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Thank you very much for pro tip. I took your advise and routed manually.
Thanks again
Paul van Avesaath , 06-13-2019, 04:33 AM
there are only two kind of people in the world who like autorouters.
1) people who don't know (yet) what they are doing
2) People who Sell autorouters!!

​
robertferanec , 06-14-2019, 10:46 AM
@Paul van Avesaath that is a great explanation
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?