| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Altium Designer with Ryzens

Aytac123 , 07-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Hello everyone.

I have an Intel-based system (Q6600 with 9600GT GPU) currently, and it has really poor performance for Altium Designer. Now I am planning to build a Ryzen 3000 series-based system. So, I want to ask you, are there anyone who uses the Altium Designer with Ryzen CPUs and if yes, how does it work, are there any performance lack? Because I saw a lot of topics that some special-purpose (maybe "Intel-optimized") applications, such as MATLAB, do not work with Ryzens well. (Because of the AVX128 that will be AVX256 with new 3000-series.)

So I wanted to ask you. Please, specify your GPU too.

Thank you friends..
JohnsonMiller , 07-05-2019, 12:54 AM
Hi Guys,

I do have a problem with new release of Altium, answering this question may me and Aytac123 as well.
My PC is Win7, Core-i7 with Radeon 7690 GPU. When running Altium 19/20 zooming or panning takes time and fan start to work very fast and also PC slow down. While, similar task with older version is smooth and fast. I have latest drivers, and OS updates.
What do you suggest? Do I need another driver or supporting software?

Regards,
MrSun , 02-07-2020, 04:52 AM
According the System Requirements of AltiumDesigner 20,it suggest Windows 10 (64-bit only) Intel® Core™ i7 processor or equivalent.here is a link for reference
ibocakir06 , 02-09-2020, 02:21 AM
Intel i7-7700HZ 2.8GHz CPU & GTX1060 GPU.

It was very difficult when you design more and more complex boards with these hardware components. It think best thing to do is turning off the online DRC to improve the performance.
robertferanec , 02-11-2020, 12:56 AM
I would also recommend to have a dedicated PC just for Altium. That helps a lot.

PS: This is what I normally have, standard PC for Altium, laptop for emails and other things (I remotely connect to that machine from my PC) and I also use virtual machine on my standard PC for all the other software what I occasionally need, but I do not want to install on my main PC as it would slow it down. When I need that software, I switch on virtual machine, when I do not need it, I will just close it.
Comments:
MrSun, 02-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Looking forward to sharing the configurations of your standard PC as reference.
robertferanec , 02-12-2020, 10:44 AM
I have a 7 years old i7, nothing special. Same for my laptop, just i7 CPU. However, I do run my projects from SSD disk (local copy from github repository), that also can help a little bit.

PS: If projects are running from network or if libraries are in clouds, that can slow down some work or some processes.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?