| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Output Folders

JohnsonMiller , 08-24-2019, 05:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Altium is using set of default paths to store data, which sometimes information mixes and not helping.
I have seen a project in which each output has set to specific folder. I also see similar output in Rex project. I went through menu and setting but not found how to set it, would you help how we can set a project to store specific folder for each output. For example, GERBER goes to own specific folder, NC Drill is going to another folder and they do not mix up.

Regards,
robertferanec , 08-26-2019, 08:35 AM
In "Output Containers" you need to click on Folder Structure "Change". Then you will see something like this - and just play with it:

Paul van Avesaath , 08-27-2019, 01:37 AM
output containers work great.. I do believe that the new release should have the run all containers option by now.. (havent checked) then it becomes a powerfull tool. too use like this..
JohnsonMiller , 08-27-2019, 02:01 AM
Hi Robert,
The position of that drop down menu is weird! But got it, thanks!

What sort of files do you usually consider when release a design? I do do create folder with complete name of project, and release date included in folder names, then generate following each in separate folder, 1) GERBER (included NC Drill), 2) Assembly Drawing (included P&P file), 3) sch/pcb PDF, 4) STEP 3D, 5) BOM, 6) Original sch/pcb.

However, there is complain about assembly drawing output. The standard output of Altium is not clear enough.

Regarding Craftman output, shall we include it in outputs?

Any comment or advice?
robertferanec , 08-27-2019, 02:50 AM
We have created a tool which will generate a list of files what you may need.

This video explains how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VU90HSFZE

Here is the tool: https://www.fedevel.com/academy/tool...ame-generator/

PS: I currently do not use Draftsman but if you need complex assembly drawings, then consider to use it.
JohnsonMiller , 08-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Hi Robert,

Got the page, but did not really get how it is useful for us! I have to copy-paste the name and create the folders and files one by one, am I missing a point?
I was wondering is that possible to create an app that runs on the local machine and creates actual folders and files (of course only name but empty).
Probably another way is to create it on the web then make a folder on some on-line file server, or so.

Regards,
Comments:
Paul van Avesaath, 08-29-2019, 07:45 AM
i did exactly this with the the unmanaged output containers. al folders neatly created (SCH, GERBER, BOM etc.), with all items in it. last container was a copy file that exported the files to a different folder for only the stuff needed for production. the trouble was that at that time there was not an offical way to run all containers one after the other automatically in wothout using the packager. so i belive Altium told me at that point it would be incorporated in the next release.. for me I am not using altium daily anymore due to another job so i cannot verify it.. currently i am still desinging in altium 17.x because of license issues so i can't check.. I once made a simple batch script that generated the folder structure but that could be improved by a real programmer.. and it was highly focussed on the way that the company was working.. so not for general use..
JohnsonMiller , 08-27-2019, 09:44 AM
Missed to ask, I also have seen some design files with a table in the mechanical layer providing manufacturing information, and they also add comments explaining what to do.
Do you recommend this?
Comments:
Paul van Avesaath, 08-29-2019, 07:49 AM
i used a print spec file (excel) to indicate all things of the PCB, names and numbers... also in there i would put info on the mechanical layers.. so stuff like Mech 1 is top designators, mech 2 bottom desginators, mech 3 pcb outline, mech 4 impdance signal layer 1, mech 5 impdance signal layer 2 etc. etc. but also stuff like maximum bow and twist, minimum sizes, pcb material,
robertferanec , 08-29-2019, 02:16 AM
Got the page, but did not really get how it is useful for us!
- it answers your previous question: "What sort of files do you usually consider when release a design?".

I also have seen some design files with a table in the mechanical layer providing manufacturing information,
- yes we do it. Have a look at some of our open source projects e.g OpenRex - you can download the whole project here: https://www.imx6rex.com/open-rex/

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?