| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Teardrop and Polygon

JohnsonMiller , 08-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys,

In my design, I have added teardrop then re-pouring polygons, I was expecting polygon pull-back based on teardrop, things that is normally happening in most cases; but in a section of design nothing happens, attached is screenshot:

any help what is the cause? how to fix it?

Regards,
mnpebm , 08-31-2019, 08:28 AM
If there isn't way to handle this in design rules, you could you use a small polygon cutout.
JohnsonMiller , 09-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Sure! there are several solutions as well,
but my question is why it is happening in the first place? then why DRC does not notice it and does not report a violation?
robertferanec , 09-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Interesting. Looks to me more like a bug. Try to ask on Altium forum what Altium will say.

PS: I do not normally add teardrops - PCB house usually add them to the tracks they need.

PSS: how big is the hole? Looks like a connector hole or is it a VIA? You may not need to add teardrops if there is enough copper around the hole (I believe, teardrops are usually used to compensate tolerance of drilling for very small holes and rings).
JohnsonMiller , 09-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Hi Robert,
Yes, it looks to be a bug, but it is the same for Altium 20!
It is a connector, I am adding teardrop for all drills. So you suggest it does not need it?
robertferanec , 09-04-2019, 11:42 PM
"Yes, it looks to be a bug, but it is the same for Altium 20!"
- interesting

"It is a connector, I am adding teardrop for all drills. So you suggest it does not need it?"
- I have never used teardrops and I have never had any problems. As I explained, if PCB manufacturer needs them, they will add them on that specific places (I can see, that even I do not use teardrops, they are added on very small tracks and VIAs when real PCB is manufactured).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?