| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Libraries for all projects

5volt-junkie , 10-07-2019, 03:01 AM
Hi all,

I started with CS/AD two years ago. At the beginning, I created some libs on our NAS. They were categorized, like one lib for RCL, one lib for diodes, one lib for PMIC and so on. But then I had some problems. After each AD update, I had to recompile all libs, because some of them made issues during forward annotation, or updating components or with displaying 3D models.
I started to use the method with dedicated libs for each project. This works pretty well but the projects are getting more extensive and even copy&paste the components from other project's lib, consumes a good bunch of time.

Can somebody give me a suggestion, how can I create one library folder/collection for all projects?
In each project I can see the two libs: Miscellaneous and Connectors IntLibs. Do I have to create an IntLib from each Sch/PCB-Lib combi and recompile them every time I add a new component?

How are you guys managing your Libs?
Paul van Avesaath , 10-08-2019, 03:14 AM
we used an acces database to choose from but it was a hassle to set up, but it worked fine!

on other companies I just had one giant lib with all schematic components in there..

for me the best way has been for small projects one giant lib (and take the occasional hassle of changing stuf)

database was very usefull when you have to add a lot of components or change a bunch of partnumbers at the same time.

Can somebody give me a suggestion, how can I create one library folder/collection for all projects?

jus put the lib files in a different folder like c:\altiumLibs\
and when starting a new project adding those libs as links to you projects.. or setting up the location of the libs in te settings.
Paul van Avesaath , 10-08-2019, 05:22 AM
btw robert made a video about this
In this video, you will create and setup your own Altium Database Library using Altium + ODBC + MySQL server on Amazon AWS.

5volt-junkie , 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Thank you Paul,

I already watched Robert's video about this, but I'm not sure, if this is the right way for a 1-2 users.

I think I will give it one more try with a (couple of) big local libs. Maybe I've had a wrong setup/settings back in the days. Now I'm a bit more familiar with Altium, thanks to Robert.
Paul van Avesaath , 10-09-2019, 12:05 AM
to give some reference. I am currently working on a project with an external company.
i am collaberating with them and set up a sch_lib and PCB_lib in a dropbox folder.. the project is located in another folder.
there are around 60 different components in there and we use it with multiple users at the same time.

the trick is how to update the lib files whilst the other one is using them (affectively locking them)
so what we did is use a simple script that copies the lib files to our own Harddrive, this way you can edit components in your dropbox file without intterupting anything.
to use new or updated components is a bit more cumebrsome. so you need to close altium, and run the copy script and reopen altium.
then your new components are accessble in you project.
as long as i and the other guy have the same reference location e.g. c:\altiumlibs\ then it all works fine!

hope this helps..

5volt-junkie , 10-09-2019, 12:49 AM
That's an interesting approach! What I do now, is creating the ProjectName.PcbLib, ProjectName.SchLib and a folder for 3D models inside of the project.
Since I'm not a freelancer and do designs for one company (my employer), I would like to have one central place for libraries and models. On the NAS would be preferable, but as you mentioned, it could be difficult to handle the libs, when we will hire more engineers.

Yesterday I tried to create the libs in my "C Users Documents" folder. Via the Components panel I opened the File-based Library Preferences. Then go to Search Path and added the path to the lib in my documents. Saved the preferences and took a look on the drop down menu in Components panel, where you can choose the active library. But only the PcbLib was visible but not the SchLib.
At this point I try to understand Altium's logic behind that.
Paul van Avesaath , 10-09-2019, 12:55 AM
I usually just start a project and use the "add new to project" function to add the libs. when dealing with libs in projects like mentioned before..
then they become "local libs" as fas as altium is concerned.
robertferanec , 10-16-2019, 02:26 AM
I am going to work on a custom project and I am planning to play with DB libraries - I will then make a video if it works out good. My plan is to use AWS DB (as in my video mentioned above) and I am planing to use Github for symbols and footprints. Let's see how it goes ...
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?