| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

What are steps to build an Impedance controlled Layer Stack-up?

Raza Parvi , 10-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Hello everyone, recently I have been working on a 10 layer board that has 6 Signal and 4 Power Plane Layers. Signals in each Signal Layer should be 55 ohm controlled impedance. After placement and before routing I asked my PCB manufacturer to share the required 10 Layer 55 ohm controlled stack-up so that I route the Signal layers as per his specs. However, the manufacturer suggested to make a rough 55 ohm layer stack-up that would later be tweaked as per their own capabilities. I resorted to Altium 19 Impedance calculator and managed to build a 55 Ohm signal layer stack-up by changing values of FR-4 Thickness, Track width randomly just to meet 55 Ohm criteria.

Would anyone please guide me proper required steps to build a controlled impedance layer stack-up and all other considerations that I need to have in mind. Attached is my layer stack-up.

robertferanec , 10-25-2019, 03:02 AM
Please, be aware, your stackup may need to support not only 55OHM Single ended impedance, but also other standard impedance such 90OHM & 100OHM Differential. When you play with your stackup, you may need to include calculation of track geometry also for these.

I am not sure how good the Altium impedance calculator is (maybe it works just fine), but I usually use Saturn PCB Toolkit (Free software): http://www.saturnpcb.com/pcb_toolkit/

Based on the results from Saturn PCB I then create a suggested stackup and PCB manufacturer will tweak it.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?