| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Keeping track of where a part is used when working with integrated/DB libraries

Beko , 01-20-2020, 07:15 AM
When you are working with multiple boards and an integrated/database library, how do you keep track of which component is used on which board? For example if I want to delete or change a component from my library because I need to change it or no longer need it in a board, how can I be sure that it will not effect my other designs?

Altium has a “Where Used” section on the component but I guess it only works for the Vault? How do you keep track of where a part is used when working with integrated/DB libraries? Your responses would be appreciated.
robertferanec , 01-21-2020, 01:26 AM
I also believe Vault has this feature, but I am not sure if that can be easily applied for local or database libraries.

I do not delete old components and if I am planning to make a change, the component is re-named to a new version. In my current library all Symbols and Footprints have ending like Symbol-v00X.SchLib or Footprint-v00X.PcbLib.

To reflect status of component, we manually update "Status" parameter in library ... not very accurate, but it's ok. When we need to know where exactly a specific component is used, it is not done through Altium, but through manufacturing and accounting software.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?