| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Solder pad

JohnsonMiller , 03-05-2020, 04:35 AM
Hi Guys,

Some components have big pads, either as exposed or heatsink.
For the soldering stencil of those pads, do we need to divide big pads to smaller ones, or the stencil manufacturer will take care of it?
Example of those pads attached:

Luca , 03-08-2020, 01:33 AM
It depend about your PCB assembly process will be and how you/your company has defined.
Tipically i do footprint as the manufacturer specify in the datasheet, so with paste mask reduction especially for fine pitch IC and connector.
This will allow to suggest/specify to your assembly house "only" the stencil thickness, surface treatment and in some cases kind of solder paste. But, for clarity, i also specify components, mainly for fine pitch IC and connectors, where my paste layer are already correct so they don't need to adjust the opening.
By the way I STRONGLY recomend to talk with your assembly house because there are a lot of different topics to know and concordate for best soldering phase, for example stencil thickness, surface treatment for stencil and PCB copper, polishing type for stencil surface, kind of solder paste and so on
JohnsonMiller , 03-08-2020, 05:19 AM
Thank you Luca for your comment.
robertferanec , 03-09-2020, 12:17 AM
I agree with @Luca - I specify paste opening by myself in footprint library based on recommended land pattern, but it is also good to know capabilities or recommendations from your assembly house. If you are not sure about some recommendations, have a look at this my video, it can help (there is a part about Exposed pad and paste solder): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMxXea16Hxc
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?