| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Lock/Unlock in Altium schematic capture

mstamler , 04-06-2020, 11:23 AM
I am taking the beginner course and defined an inductor per the tutorial instructions. When I placed it onto the schematic I discovered that it was locked and I could not move it like the other components. According to what I read about this, in the component definition there is a box that defines the location of the part and that there should be an icon there that defines lock/unlock. However, in my version of Altium, 19.1.7, this icon is missing. So I have no way of moving this particular part. My work-around is to cut and copy and this does let me move it.

Any ideas as to why this icon does not appear? Are there other definitions that impact this behaviour?

BR
willyduke , 04-06-2020, 02:07 PM
While in the schematic click the right bottom button called "Panels" and select "SCH List" to see the panel, select the component you have the problem and see if the "Locked" checkbox is check
mstamler , 04-07-2020, 06:37 AM
I did what you suggest. The 'Locked' box is not set. However, I am still unable to move the component when I select it unlike any other part.
willyduke , 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM
I wonder if when you created your component accidentally there is a drawing element far from the inductor (like a circle with radius zero or near zero), one way to know is click your component in your library and it should zoom to show just the inductor, if you see the inductor in a small part of the window, try to right select to surround the drawing object and delete it, then update your schematic. Or maybe you can share your library to test.
robertferanec , 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM
In some AD versions, there is a bug in Properties panel - it will not show all the options sometimes. What helps is to make the Properties panel wider - but I am not sure if that will help in this case. Looks like the problem is something else. PS: You still should be able to move it by selecting the component and updating Location X & Y numbers.

Maybe some screenshots would help.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?