| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Proper netlist export

5volt-junkie , 05-04-2020, 03:37 AM
Hi all,

since the beginning of this year the manufacturing house I'm working with expects a netlist file attached to my gerber files. In the past I just sent a simple .txt file with nets to be matched to 50Ohm.
Somehow I was able to export the netlist one time, but can't remember all steps.
After exporting the Gerber files, I had two Camtastic files. One for copper structures and one for drills. Then I've imported the drills camtastic file into the other file with copper structures. I remember I got many error messages like "missing this, missing that" or "extract nets before you proceed" and so on.
Finally I had a netlist file and I opened it with a text editor. All the nets have been renamed (means the didn't have the original netnames I entered in my schematics).
So I had to inspect all traces in the camptastic viewer with CAM Editor and to write it down, when the 50Ohm Net have been highlighted. After that, I sent the files to manufacturing house and they were able to work with that files botchery.

My questions are, what's the right way to export a proper netlist file and is there a solution to transfer the netnames from schematic to the netlist automatically?

beamray , 05-06-2020, 03:11 AM
Hello, why do not you export odb++ or IPC-2581 fabrication file format. It fits for manufacturing and testing. also, it can be easier import project to different CAD tool.
Also I prefer Tango format. In schematic go to design menu - Netlist for project. also you can use in PCB editor : file-fabrication-fabrication test points option and select IPC-D-356 option, but that not gonna work properly in AD newer than 17, I think. So please go with first option.
robertferanec , 05-07-2020, 07:11 AM
@beamray is right. ODB++ may include netlist (if you select it during export) and PCB manufacturers can use it to manufacture PCB.

PS: I still prefer to send only gerbers ... I prefer to send only the essential information they need to manufacture the PCB (and netlist is not really important for them).

PSS: If your PCB manufacturer needs to highlight tracks with specific impedance, I just highlight it in Altium and take screenshot, like this

Comments:
beamray, 05-07-2020, 08:37 AM
BTW when I need to specify diff pair or stripline i use tables:Differential lines: Layer No - Impedance, Ohm- trace width, mm - space within pair, mmCoplanar: Layer No - Impedance - trace width, mm - space, mmsingle ended: Layer No- Impedance - trace widthMost of times manufacturer will not measure impedance directly on once PCB, they will you coupons.
5volt-junkie , 05-08-2020, 05:13 AM
Many thanks for your suggestions.
I remember, somebody told me, the ODB++ files contain a lot of other informations, so in theory the PCB manufacturer (not the assembly house) could be able to reproduce the whole board.
The suggestion from our assembly house was to still work with Gerber files.
robertferanec , 05-08-2020, 08:46 AM
I remember, somebody told me, the ODB++ files contain a lot of other informations, so in theory the PCB manufacturer (not the assembly house) could be able to reproduce the whole board.
- that is reason why I also prefer gerbers. When you are generating ODB++ you can select what you would like to include/exclude, but a small mistake can send them a lot of information about your project.
Comments:
beamray, 05-08-2020, 01:46 PM
I usually do both. and send them.I have some painfull expirience to recover PCBs from Pcad 4.5, 8.5, Punched tape and filmed masks. Also It's nice when you can double check on files.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?