| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

uVia vs Via in AD20

kazemiy974 , 08-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Hello,
In Altium Designer 20,Layer stackup tab,I found a checkbutton with uvia label,what is the diffrence between via and micro via?
If i checked this button, It makes a difference in vias shape,why?
qdrives , 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM
I would say the microvia's are laser drilled and have a bit cone shape.
Normal via's are mechanically drilled.
Different production process steps, possibilities, limitations and costs.
kazemiy974 , 08-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Thank You @qdrives .
WhoKnewKnows , 08-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Altium's web site has a recent article on their support of microvias.

Worth noting is that generally, when people say via, they're referring to a through hole PCB element that allows you to shift conduction of electricity from one layer to the other. They usually go entirely through the board. They may then get back drilled if stub removal is important.

With microvias, people tend to think HDI design rules (high density interconnect). Micro vias are often laser drilled, but don't need to be. They often only exist connecting through a limited number of layers instead of through the entire board, but they don't need to.
WhoKnewKnows , 08-11-2020, 10:00 AM
Also worth watching

Watch to learn how you can setup and use microvias in your next PCB design.See more How To Videos at: https://resources.altium.com/altium-designer-19-how-to-...
qdrives , 08-11-2020, 10:35 AM
Now I am not a fabricator, nor (very) experienced with microvia's, but most video's I have seen do not have a producible stack-up. Be wary when replicating it from such video's.
WhoKnewKnows , 08-11-2020, 10:53 AM
Agreed, be wary of information from the Internet. Be wary of advice from people who claim not to have experience in something while warning you to be wary.

BT Dubs, the video linked above is from Altium...But even they can get things wrong 😉
Comments:
qdrives, 08-11-2020, 11:57 AM
I am working on my first design with optionally microvia's so my experience is low.
kazemiy974 , 08-13-2020, 12:16 AM
Thank You! @WhoKnewKnows .
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?