| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

P&P file format?

JohnsonMiller , 09-07-2020, 12:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering what information we should add to the P&P file? My suggestion was Designator, Layer, X Y location, and rotation. But we have been asked to add the component values, as well. Since the last value for component and part data is located in the BOM, we have to move BOM data back to schematics,
does it make sense to add value to P&P file?
WhoKnewKnows , 09-07-2020, 12:36 PM
In a case where the design varies by changing values or removing components, but uses the same PCB, you might consider using Altium's variants feature, and add a column to the p&p data to indicate fitted/not fitted status.
shaik , 09-08-2020, 03:11 AM
I assume you are using Altium, generally Altium has default set of data when Pick and place file is generated. But for some reason if you want to customize then I would add definitely add component description as it might help assembly house to cross check their feeder and P&P program.

Usually manual modification to BoM is not recommended as design can't be reused due to incorrect values in schematics. I were you I would do it proper way even if it takes time. if not excel is the hope to add a column of values
qdrives , 09-10-2020, 12:02 PM
I would never have a "value" in the pick & place file. A component (ie resistor) is much more then just a value (manufacturer and MPN). They might want to use that file instead of the BoM.
robertferanec , 09-12-2020, 01:20 AM
Usually, I just use the automatic P&P with no special settings (so I have never really thought about what to include and what not, I just have used the default Pick & Place file).

However if your assembly house needs some P&P file customization, these posts may help (if you need, you can create a document with position & also values):
https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...ment-from-file
https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...and-place-file
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?