| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Changing schematic parts with out the current symbol or parameters changing

Mallicalk , 09-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

When I make schematics in Altium-18. I often create parts before the company makes the “official” symbol and footprint/ land pattern. So, I’ve made a temporary symbol and got a lot of the design done before I get the official part. The footprint/ land pattern is the same, but the Symbol is quite different. Placing the new symbol usually messes up everything. Another problem I have is that when I place a symbol in the schematic, say a resistor, I place the symbol, enable/disable parameters change the orientation and make it look great. Then I change the part, and everything goes to the default settings. Messing up my schematic and making me do a lot of extra work.

I have been doing Altium on and off for a long time. I remember being able to change a part and nothing on the symbol changed. This was true if the pin-out and parameters didn’t change.

Do you know how to change a placed part “Design Item Id” and or “Source” so that it keeps the symbol and parameters shape, orientation, and is viewed the exact same as before the change.

i.e. I place part “Design Item Id” res-10k place it just right. Then I change the “Design Item Id” res-20k in the preferences window. And nothing changes so I can go without any other adjusting.

Thanks Jim
qdrives , 10-01-2020, 02:04 PM
When I create symbols (in the library), I create them the way I want to see them in the schematic.
From the library there are only two parameters I want to see: designator and "value". The value parameter has a nice value, like 10k or 100n. From the schematic I only add and often visualize a "remarks" that may contain a text like optional, variant, glue, etc.
Also very important is to have the orientation correct/identical. Orientation towards the reference. For the parameters the autoposition is off. To do this for the designator it is required to check the show comment/designator field in the Tools/document options page.

But this places the tasks to the person creating the library. Perhaps they should continue with the symbols you create?
robertferanec , 10-05-2020, 09:25 AM
I also agree with Autoposition off.

Also this sometimes helps me (System preferences -> Schematic -> Defaults: Override Library Primitives):

Mallicalk , 10-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Hi all,
I took some time and played with the Preferences page. I tried Designator, Comment (it shows the company number that is not useful) the parameter tab, the part, and other tabs and nothing changed this from happening. The libraries are made by corporation. Better people than me have tried to change them with out any success.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Maybe Altium knows the answer. Its not in any forum I could see.
qdrives , 10-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Perhaps you should ask them what the use is for:
- internal and external part number
- tolerance
- voltage rating (seldom)
And why not (sarcastic):
- Dielectric
- Package
- operation temperature
- Dissipation factor
- resonant frequency
- DC bias curve
- MSL
- Mass (weight)
- ECCN

- etc.

I am trying to think of a symbol where I had more then one "value" visible in the schematic, besides the designator. That value is one for humans and could also say "1u 35V" or "2E2 3W" if you have some more special parts (I also had 2n2 1kV).

For clarity, I am talking about making those parameters visible, not have them 'attached' to the component.
Mallicalk , 10-08-2020, 11:44 PM
Don't want to give them any ideas. At least their orientation is the same.! I've seen worse. They are all made visible in the parameters I have to un-view them. I remember fixing this some versions ago.
Again thanks for your help/understanding. If I find an answer I'll post it here.
Jim
robertferanec , 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM
@Mallicalk did you try the play with the Override Library Primitive? That didn't help?
Mallicalk , 10-14-2020, 05:11 PM
The only thing that made any change was hiding the Comments. that only hid the comment with a newly placed component.

Did it work for you?
robertferanec , 10-16-2020, 08:46 AM
I only use it for comments. I have not tried it for other parameters.
qdrives , 10-22-2020, 02:19 PM
See also this on schematic capture: https://resources.orcad.com/orcad-bl...ematic-capture
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?