| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

SMPS Simulation in Altium .

Shivvrm , 10-23-2020, 09:51 AM
Can anybody help me in simulating a Switched mode power supply in altium ? I got no resources regarding that.
WhoKnewKnows , 10-23-2020, 06:56 PM
I have always wanted to do sims in Altium, but find LTspice very convenient since I already mostly know it and It has quite a large following and support group on groups.io
robertferanec , 10-26-2020, 09:23 AM
I am not really sure if that is so simple to do. Switching power supply controllers are more complex chips. I am not sure if it is possible to get a model which can be simply used for simulation in a generic simulation software. But, I may be wrong ....

PS: Maybe have a look at power supply manufacturer websites. I know, that some have support to design and simulate power supplies based on the chips they manufacture. Maybe for example something like this? https://www.ti.com/design-resources/...-designer.html
qdrives , 10-26-2020, 11:12 AM
Besides the other comments from @WhoKnewKnows and @robertferanec the models of the controllers are either encrypted or 'merged' into a bigger application (ie. LTSpice for Linear and PSpice for TI). Altium does not support encrypted models. At least AD20. Perhaps AD21 will have it, but my question to them about it still has not been answered.
Shivvrm , 01-16-2021, 01:16 PM
Hi ,
Here's an update.
What I did was I searched for SPICE models for every component in my SMPS design. I added them one by one in my library. The models which I was unable to find I wrote a basic version myself in SPICE. But I couldn't write or find the model of my controller VIPER22ASE. That's too complex. Only manufacturer can help but the manufacturer seems like not interested in sharing its model. And also 1 optocoupler. I had to learn how to model an optocoupler from a youtube channel of a person named "Robert Bolanos" ( https://www.youtube.com/user/rbola35618 ) . So at last just for the sake of simulating my design I replaced my controller(Viper22ASE) with a simple Transistor connected to a Pulsating Voltage Source. I added the pulse parameters like switching frequency , time period , rise and fall time from my controller's datasheet and BOOM. I had successfully simulated my design . The simulation might not be perfect due to the fact that controller's original model was not used but it was okay.

@robertferanec
@WhoKnewKnows
@qdrives

Beers 🍻 and Cheers 🥂
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?