| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

About slotted pad in Altium

mulfycrowh , 11-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I have a connector with one slotted pad for a grounded pin.
It is vertical with a height of 1.9 mm and a width of 0.9 mm.
Tolerance is +/- 0.05 mm

In Altium, the pad is made of:
- 1 pad at the top
- 1 pad at the bottom
- 1 slotted pad
- 1 track

I copied all properties for these 4 items.

I do not understand:
- The location of +/- 0.508 mm
- The diameter of 0.889 mm
- The diameter of 1.905 mm

Thanks for your help.
mulfycrowh , 11-22-2020, 10:49 AM
I think that this footprint given by a famous distributor has not been done following standard rules.
I redit it using slots and everything is fine.
WhoKnewKnows , 11-22-2020, 12:50 PM
If you want help with how to create a footprint, or how to interpret info from a datasheet to create a footprint, may I suggest not transcribing the info via pen and paper by hand and taking a photo of it? Please share the original source of info. Usually a datasheet.

mulfycrowh , 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM
I did it to have properties of the 4 items simultaneously
mulfycrowh , 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM
I think I'll have an manufacturing issue on pad 88.
Any suggestion maybe
Thank you
qdrives , 11-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Does the hole need to be plated? If it is a plastic pin, do not plate it here.
What is the distance from the hole/plating to the SMD pads?
mulfycrowh , 11-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Yes. It should be plated. The pin is made of copper alloy.
Distance is 0.15mm
robertferanec , 11-23-2020, 02:46 AM
If the slot length is just a little bit bigger than slot width, I often do this just as a bigger hole (+ oval PAD). Sometimes using slots can add extra cost to your PCB:
Instant online PCB quote, get PCBs for only $2. Check design with the online gerber viewer, Easy and quick PCB Price Calculator from JLCPCB

PS: I am not exactly sure what is on the picture and what is the original question. Please could you be more specific? Or have you solved the problem?
qdrives , 11-23-2020, 10:29 AM
With 0.15mm it depends on the class you are using for the design and copper thickness. Your fabricator will have a table with:
- Minimum OAR (Outer Annular Ring)
- Minimum track to track spacing
Only for 70um (2oz) or more will the 0.15mm be problematic.
And as @robertferanec mentioned, putting a slot of 0.85mm on a board is more expensive than a hole of 1mm. Tolerance may also be better.
​​​​​​​
mulfycrowh , 11-25-2020, 03:59 AM
PCB Library is attached.
Thank you for sharing any comment about any manufacturing issue.
qdrives , 11-25-2020, 01:44 PM
1) At least 2 pins are mentioned as not plated. However, you did set the plating box (ok, Altium did).
2) If I look at the 3D model, I would say the the pin (slot) is much bigger then needed.
3) You made the size equal to the maximum. Especially in this that is not wise. Leave some tolerance for the fabricator.
4) The spacing from SMT pins to slot OAR is 0.075mm and from pin to hole 0.125mm. How fine pitch do you want to go.
5) No distributor has them on stock, so checking the footprint with an actual part is a bit difficult. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-5Wr7zSX8
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?