| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Moving components during the pcb layout

Lucky-Luka , 12-10-2020, 01:42 AM
Hi all
During the pcb layout I've noticed that I need to move some components in order to have enough space for traces.
What is the best way to do it?
As a beginner I've noticed I have done a mistake while trying to move a component (I avoided to save fortunately): I moved only the pads leaving the silkscreen behind.
What filters do I have to enable to modify the components' position smartly? Thanks
WhoKnewKnows , 12-10-2020, 06:43 PM
It takes a little diligence to make sure you have selected the entire component to move in the design instead of a part of the component. Something that can help with this is to limit what can be selected with the selection filter. With the PCB document active, select nothing (shift + c) and look to the properties panel. There are buttons you can turn on and off to enable selecting various types of objects. If you're planning layout, you might turn everything off except for components. If you're routing, you might turn everything off except for tracks, and so on.

For most mistakes, undo (Ctrl + z) works and you can sequentially undo back many moves. If you mistakenly undo too far, redo also works to get back to where you were (Ctrl + y)

Save your work frequently (Ctrl + s) it inspires logging and backup efforts from Altium.
robertferanec , 12-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Just in case, here is screenshot from the filter:

PS: Normally it should not be possible just to move pads, be sure, when you select your components, primitives are locked (they should be locked by default):
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?