| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Moving components snaps to a grid, how to change this setting ?

vinaygh , 12-17-2020, 01:34 AM
I am doing the Advanced PCB design course using Altium and I am trying to place components right next to each other like you have in the course. However, I cannot get components any closer than what I have in the image attached. How do I get rid off the grid snap ?

PS: I tried moving holding down "CTRL" but it does not help.

vinaygh , 12-17-2020, 02:04 AM
To add to my previous question - what does this green highlight mean for the processor area inside the circle ? Rest of the board is red, blue and yellow.
goncaloc , 12-17-2020, 03:02 AM
Hi Vinaygh

You need to change the Component Clearance rule in order to place them really close to each other.
As for the green highlight, this is Altium telling you the highlighted components are in conflict with one or more rules.
vinaygh , 12-17-2020, 03:29 AM
Thank you @goncaloc. I changed it to 0.1mm now and can move a lot closer. I will run the DRC check later and see if the highlighted section goes away once I fix those errors.
WhoKnewKnows , 12-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Even though it seems like your issue wasn't actually with snapping, to answer your original question, with the PCB as the active document, select nothing (shift + c) and look to the properties panel. That's where the snap controls are.

Press and hold down the control key to temporarily suspend snapping as you work too.

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?