| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Solid Fill Issue in AD21!

JohnsonMiller , 02-07-2021, 12:35 PM
I am using solid fill on my board, even though locking to edges (as shown with a green circle), BUT a small gap is visible between shapes. My manufacturer also informed me about that gap, and it was visible in the Gerbers as well, and Cantastic issue error. Is this gap set and meant to be there or something is wrong?
WhoKnewKnows , 02-07-2021, 04:17 PM
I've been burned by this before. If the boundary of one copper feature is numerically less than the boundary of the other copper feature by some tiny amount, they may appear to touch, but there will be a tiny gap between them. It's a good practice to overlap such features. You could widen the fill so the left edge goes well into that object on the left and well into that object on the right. The it won't interfere with the plated through holes. It won't cause the copper to be thicker where the two features overlap, it just makes sure the copper is continuous. How did this pass DRC? was net antenna checking turned off? That gets me. The net antenna warnings are huge, distracting and difficult to work around, so I turn them off. I have to remind myself to turn these things back on. BTW, two same-net objects being so close together but not touching is just the sort of thing that FAB houses are bothered with. If there's going to be a gap between two same net copper features, it needs to be substantial, or not at all. Good luck!
robertferanec , 02-08-2021, 01:23 AM
As @WhoKnewKnows is suggesting, try to overlap the polygon with the pads or other polygons. That could help.
goncaloc , 02-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Hi Johnson
That is why I always use "Solid Region" instead of the "Fill"
JohnsonMiller , 02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Guys, thank you for your comment; as you suggested I am doing the overlap; but I do not understand the logic behind this, obviously the Altium engineer knows this issue; I have seen it in AD17, and was hoping that be fixed on AD21.
WhoKnewKnows , 02-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by goncaloc
Hi Johnson
That is why I always use "Solid Region" instead of the "Fill"
Regardless of the object type, polygon, solid region, fill, etc., if they only meet edge to edge, there's a risk of a gap.
Comments:
goncaloc, 02-10-2021, 02:13 AM
Yes, that's the issueWhen using solid regions you can make any shape you want, so, you can use only one solid regions instead of multiple fills, this way you will not have objects meeting edge to edge that you forget to overlap
WhoKnewKnows , 02-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by JohnsonMiller
Guys, thank you for your comment; as you suggested I am doing the overlap; but I do not understand the logic behind this, obviously the Altium engineer knows this issue; I have seen it in AD17, and was hoping that be fixed on AD21.
When connecting two pads with a track, it's risky, and in some cases invites errors, if the user only brings the track to meet the edge of the trace. Usually the track needs to overlap the pad, at least reaching the pad center. It's wise to think similarly when joining objects with fills, regions, and polygons. Most EDA software requires this kind of overlap.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?