| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

About component location on the footprint

mulfycrowh , 02-11-2021, 08:55 AM
HI.
What information in Altium gives the perfect location of the component on the footprint?
Thanks.
mulfycrowh , 02-11-2021, 10:00 AM
Let's take the example of the attached component screenshot.
It's easy to center the component on the X axis.
But it is more difficult to center it on the Y axis.

mulfycrowh , 02-12-2021, 02:05 PM
I would like to remind this information is important because it induces the exact location of the footprint.
Any idea?
robertferanec , 02-15-2021, 01:05 AM
It depends how 3D model is created - e.g. where 3D model has 0,0,0 location. If your 3D model's 0,0,0 location is a weird point, than it is not easy to place 3D model on your footprint and it has to be done basically manually.

PS: Possibly you can define snap point on the 3D model and use these, but I do not normally do it.
mulfycrowh , 02-15-2021, 01:30 AM
@robertferanec
Locating the 3D Model is not a tricky matter.
My question was about locating the physical component.
How does the manufacturer (or the placement machine) locate the component?
Does the information come from the 3D model location?

robertferanec , 02-15-2021, 01:50 AM
How does the manufacturer (or the placement machine) locate the component?
- pick and place coordinates (these are uploaded to the pick and place machine) use 0,0 position of footprint. Or, by the other words, when you are creating footprint, then the 0,0 position (it is called Reference) in footprint library will be the point where component will be picked up.
mulfycrowh , 02-15-2021, 01:58 AM
@robertferanec

Picking the component at 0,0 means you know its location on the component. No datasheet gives this information.
Attached the footprint of the component.
I am asking all those questions because I use this component as edge component and precise location of the component is important to match with the mating connector on the other board.

​​​​​​​
robertferanec , 02-15-2021, 02:34 AM
So, is your question answered?

PS: the 0,0 doesn't have to be center of component. Actually it should be where center of gravity is located (they sometimes mention this in datasheet), but center of gravity is often also center of component (for symetrical components) or .... for through hole components I often place it into pin 1 as it is much easier when adding dimensions describing the position of that component.
mulfycrowh , 02-15-2021, 02:44 AM
Here attached the screenshot of the PCB.
I located the footprint in order to make the connector edge match with board edge.
But all this process depends on how I placed the 3D model on the footprint.
There are several ways to place the 3D model on the footprint when I move it horizontally.
So how to get the exact location the manufacturer will use?

​​​​​​​
robertferanec , 02-15-2021, 06:15 AM
You may have problems with this. Ideally, edge connectors should have through hole pins (smd connectors can fell off the board together with pads if a force is applied when they are plugged in or plugged out) or if you would like to use smd connector which has to be precisely placed, you may want to look for something with guide pins (small pins on the bottom of components which will go inside small holes on PCB to secure the position).

The connector what you have, may not be always 100% placed at the same position.

PS: you could possibly glue it, but that would be just extra step
mulfycrowh , 02-15-2021, 08:47 AM
Difficult to find a board to board connector matching SMD, low profile and high insertion count ...
chitransh92 , 02-17-2021, 09:59 AM
Hi,
I would agree with @robertferanec , It is always recommended to use PTH connector for the connectors as they can easy come off as highlighted by him.
I have burnt my fingers with this and I ensure that either the connector is PTH or if it is SMD it is with Mounting Holes.

There are some good manufacturers who provide these features like Samtec, Molex etc.
Do try.

Thank you.
mulfycrowh , 02-17-2021, 10:11 AM
@chitransh92 Hi,
I didn't find any board to board connector with mounting hole(s) and high mating cycles.
FPC connectors have low mating cycles.

At present time, I keep the connectors 801-43-007-40-002000 and 830-10-007-40-028000 from Homepage | Mill-Max Mfg. Corp. (mill-max.com)
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?