| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Ground plane unwanted space

CORTEX , 03-05-2021, 10:52 PM
There is a large trace of space on the ground plane in a way that I do not want around the slot-type pad I used. What is the reason for this?

Best Regards
ibocakir06 , 03-06-2021, 12:06 AM
Double check your Design Rules !
CORTEX , 03-06-2021, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by ibocakir06
Double check your Design Rules !
Can you explain the subject fully ?
WhoKnewKnows , 03-07-2021, 08:18 AM
It appears there is a copper polygon that isn't "pouring out" completely as you expect it should. Copper polygons don't fill in their shape if their settings or design rules prevent it. They tend to "yield" and conform to some strange shape that maximally fills the polygon, but also keeps to the settings and design rules. Most likely, this is a setting on the polygon properties (select the polygon, look to the properties panel), or perhaps a clearance setting in the design rules (click in the workspace of the PCB document, then look to the menu: Design > Rules. Navigate through the rules tree to the clearance section.

Sometimes I troubleshoot this by placing a non-yielding copper object, such as a fill, on the same layer and assign it the same net, and place it in the area that the polygon is yielding. Next, run a DRC and see if errors are generated. If not, then the problem is likely a setting in the polygon. If an error is generated, then it still could be a combination of design rule setting and polygon setting.
qdrives , 03-07-2021, 02:01 PM
It could also be a bug in Altium. I had such an issue in the past too (AD19). Which version are you using?
robertferanec , 03-08-2021, 02:12 AM
This definitely looks weird. It may be a bug. I would try to update Altium (if possible).
goncaloc , 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Hi Cortex

that is a old "friend" of mine.
Look at pads image, this two pads are visually exactly the same, only thing is, they're not.
looking to pads1 and pads2, you can see they are not physically the same, starting with the orientation, if you look at pads3 you can see one of them has a larger area, it is this are that is creating that gap on your plane.
Double check your footprint's pads an make sure the properties are correct, basically, make sure the hole size is smaller than the length.
robertferanec , 03-11-2021, 04:27 AM
@goncaloc WOW!
CORTEX , 03-15-2021, 11:00 PM
First of all thank you for the possibilities you suggested.

@@WhoKnewKnows Our friend's suggestion seems to be close to probabilities, even if it is a bit.

Altium 19.1.5 I'm using the version, I think there may be a problem with the version.

Best Regards

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?