| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Default via not working at all

fpoirier , 04-10-2021, 08:58 AM
Hi,

I am following the course advanced PCB design and am using Altium designer version 19.0.14. I am trying to do the fanout under the CPU and Altium will not let me create a via that is the default size as shown in the video. Here are my settings in Preferences -> PCB editor -> defaults -> Via:

I have not changed anything in the rules of the provided project files.

Now when I put down a trace starting from a GND pad and want to add a via, instead of putting down a thru-hole 1-12 via by default, it gives me a stack of two vias (L1 to L2 and L11 to L12).

L11 to L12 is not even a possible drill pair in the layer stack manager.

I have tried deactivating all the rules related to width and via routing style. This gives me a via that is L1-L12 thru-hole but with dimensions way way bigger than my defined default via size (in preferences). There is no way that I have gotten altium to give me the actual default via defined in the PCB editor preferences and the thru-ole via style rule other than manually defining it for each individual via.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I do not want to manually change via diameter and hole size for every single via during the fanout under the cpu.

WhoKnewKnows , 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM
If you open up Layer Stack Manager, there are sub dialogs regarding various pcb design aspects. Drill pairs or something that can affect vias is there. I'm not at my computer right now so I can't be more specific. Take a look there
fpoirier , 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM
I have managed to get default via size working properly only by deleting every other type of via from the layer stack manager and deactivating all via routing style other than for thru-hole. Is there any via priority parameter other than the PCB editor preferences default via and routing via style rules priority?
WhoKnewKnows , 04-10-2021, 10:21 AM
Some of this is speculation. As I recall, Altium has a via library. If you set that up, then when you use the place via command, if the via you want isn't immediately available, press tab to pause via placement and select the desired via from the via library in the properties panel. Actually the via library entries are called templates I think.

There may be hot keys for selecting from the via library on the fly as you place. Maybe + & - ?
fpoirier , 04-10-2021, 10:46 AM
I am becoming more and more certain that there is something wrong in the setup of Mr. Feranec's project. Maybe it has to do with the different altium version that he uses ( the one he uses is much older than 19.x.x). When I load up projects that we use at work, vias work perfectly as intended.

PS: There is no via/pads library included in the project. Vias are setup manually through the use of layer stack manager and via routing style design rules.

PS2: The image joined here is the default Via stack that is created when I try connecting from top (L1) to bottom (L12) layer, I . I have managed to get a correct thru-hole Via only if I connect top (L1) to L4, L5, L6, L7, L8, L9.

PS3: thank you for your help!
WhoKnewKnows , 04-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Here's a link mentioning via library. I may have had the details wrong, but via library does exist

This page looks at creation, management and use of Pad Via Libraries and pad/via templates, to enhance design reuse and management capabilities for pads and vias in PCB designs
robertferanec , 04-12-2021, 03:32 AM
@fpoirier when the original project was created, VIA management was different (basically non existing). So yes, if you open the project in a New Altium and if you would like Altium use the right VIAs automatically, you may need to do some additional setup.

PS: I often Copy & Paste VIAs (or fanouts), so we do not set automatic VIA selection for routing in our projects. I think, maybe have a look and try to setup Design -> Rules -> Design Rules -> Routing -> Routing Via Style? Maybe that could help?
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?