| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Seting top layer as a Ground plane ?

sukru , 04-10-2021, 02:12 PM
I want to arrange my 4 layer stack up as GND - SIGNAL - POWER - GND but in Altium layer stack manager tab ı cant change the top layer as a plane . when I press the Type section , only option is Signal. What should I do to arrange first layer as a Plane?
WhoKnewKnows , 04-10-2021, 02:23 PM
Think of which layer you were planning to place components. That layer can't be a plane layer AFAIK.

If you set the bottom as a plane then only the top remains for components.
sukru , 04-10-2021, 02:40 PM
thank you for quick responce @WhoKnewKnows . I saw the stack up example of 4 layer in one of the rick Hartley conferance and I added it here. he mention the top layer as a Ground , what is the meaning of it ? Can it be ground pour instead of plane on top layer.

WhoKnewKnows , 04-10-2021, 02:50 PM
Any of the outer layers that you want to place components on need to be signal layers. You can have a ground plane effect with a board-wide polygon pour that's connected to ground.
robertferanec , 04-12-2021, 04:27 AM
@sukru as @WhoKnewKnows explained, I believe Top and Bottom layers can't be set as a plane, because Altium plane is a special layer which I believe can't handle components (e.g. can't work with footprints and pads). Also doing fanout and drawing tracks on a plane layer - hmm .. I believe that would not be so easy to do. Just try "draw tracks" on a plane layer and you will see what I mean - plane layer is a negative layer it means, everything what you draw will not be copper - and draw tracks this way would be super difficult.

As already suggested, simply, use the Top layer as a signal layer and then on the TOP layer draw a GND polygon over the whole board.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?