| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to assign many pads to one pin when creating a symbol in Altium

Nikosant03 , 04-21-2021, 07:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I want to create a symbol of this MOSFET. As you can see from the top view of the MOSFET, the pads 1,2,5,6 are the same (Drain)... How do I assign the all these pads to a single schematic Drain pin?

Thanks in advance
Nick
qdrives , 04-21-2021, 09:22 AM
Which version of Altium?
AD21:
A365 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4ZQYSb2DI
In the comments they briefly (very briefly) explain how to do so with simple SCHLIB.

AD20 and older:
Place multiple pins on top of each other. Only have on one pin the pin number and description visible.
Disadvantage: a junction dot is visible in the schematic when a wire is connected.
Another solution is to draw it as in the video linked above.

I have not done the AD21 method yet.
Nikosant03 , 04-21-2021, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by qdrives
Which version of Altium?
AD21:
A365 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4ZQYSb2DI
In the comments they briefly (very briefly) explain how to do so with simple SCHLIB.
Thank you for your reply qdrives, I am using AD21, indeed from the comments it seems that I can use the model map panel for this task.. I will give a try, thanks!!

robertferanec , 04-23-2021, 04:42 AM
I often simply keep all the pins visible and include them in the symbol. It helps with schematic checking (I am sure all the pins are connected correctly) and also it helps with imports / exports (non standard techniques may cause problems during imports / exports of your schematic).
qdrives , 04-23-2021, 11:14 AM
@robertferanec I am currently working with a FET with 28 (BGA) pins. 15 source, 12 drain and 1 gate. Then no, I do not want to see them all...
By the way, the pin itself is visible.
And for ICs, then yes, I always have all the pins visible (with numbering).
Nikosant03 , 04-25-2021, 01:22 PM
I finally used the "pin map" to assign multiple pads to a single pin. It works fine and I just hide the pin numbers (1,2,5,6,8) to avoid messing.. However I didn'y try any import/export

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?