| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PCB PADs?

JohnsonMiller , 05-02-2021, 01:55 AM
Hi Guys,

In most RF modules, similar to the attached sample, a TH pad of PCB is acting as a mounting pad. I need such a feature on my board. When I put the keep-out line in the center of the pad, Altium issues a DRC error, which is expected. Wondering if you know any solution to implement these forms of pads?

WhoKnewKnows , 05-02-2021, 04:03 AM
I think those are called castellations and they're really whole TH pads that the fab shop runs their router through to produce half-holes. Google PCB castellations and you see lots of examples. I suspect the solution is to design the PCB larger than the finished size and draw the route path through all of the TH pads to get the finished shape.

Potentially let the PCB design be larger so it contains all of the whole holes as suggested above, then use Altium's panelizing function to route the PCB almost entirely out of the panel per usual in the panelizing way. In this case, let the route path go through the THs to make the castellations. This could let you complete the design without errors and get the shape you want in the panelizing stage.
JohnsonMiller , 05-02-2021, 12:39 PM
@WhoKnewKnows , thank you for the help, I did the google search and find many videos.
Another related question, how we can ask Altium to ignore a specific DRC at a specific location? This also may help to waive the error.
Also, I have a problem with 3D view. I want to see the half cut pad, what it showes is a full circle pad.
WhoKnewKnows , 05-02-2021, 07:31 PM
When you run the drc, Altium lists the errors in the messages panel. Right click on an error and select waive. I don't know what to suggest for the 3D view
robertferanec , 05-03-2021, 02:46 AM
I want to see the half cut pad, what it showes is a full circle pad.
I do not think this is possible in the current Altium version
qdrives , 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM
For the DRC error you could use pad classes and change the rules for that class.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?