| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Ctrl + Drag component in AD21. Components do not move on the grid.

rajat_jain_785 , 05-15-2021, 11:30 AM
Hello,

During BGA component placement, Ctrl + "Left Click and Drag" component.
Components do not move on the grid under this situation.

What setting should i change so that Ctrl + Drag causes the component to move on the grid, as in previous Altium versions.

Regards
WhoKnewKnows , 05-15-2021, 12:39 PM
You might be conflating grid with snap. As I understand, pressing Ctrl suppresses snapping and allows more movement freedom, but the grid is always enforced. Perhaps confirm your grid settings and your snap settings?🤷
rajat_jain_785 , 05-16-2021, 04:36 AM
Hi,

I was previously using AD19 in which once Ctrl is pressed and then components are dragged, then components move on the grid. Pressing Ctrl suppresses gravity to certain points like pad-centre, junctions etc.

In AD21, pressing Ctrl disables snapping all together. Is there a way to force the component being dragged to move on the grid itself.

Regards
WhoKnewKnows , 05-16-2021, 07:18 AM
Perhaps this is about the number decimal places that the PCB editor is using VS grid setting? EG if you have your grid set to 0.01mm and the PCB editor is set to use 2 decimal places numerically, then components cannot move off of grid no matter what you do. Even if you type in a 3 decimal place value to the component's XY coordinates, it will be rounded to the value's nearest two decimal place value.
rajat_jain_785 , 05-16-2021, 08:23 AM
How do I change number of decimal places that pcb editor uses ?
WhoKnewKnows , 05-16-2021, 01:32 PM
Sorry, the setting I was thinking of is actually for when metric values are used. This may not affect your uses if you don't do metric.

It's at Preferences>PCB Editor>General>Metric Display Precision

However, if you do use metric, and your display precision is set low enough, and your grid setting is set high enough, it could force you to always stay on grid. This brings up an interesting thought. What happens if your grid is set finer than the display precision. If I type in a location x.557, Altium could round that to x.56 as the value it displays, but does the true value get rounded to x.56 or does it remain x.557? My thought is if it displays x.56, then the location needs to be x.56. Not entirely sure what the behavior is TBH. Sorry this isn't very helpful
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?