| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Which features will disappear with an expired subscription?

VUHA , 05-25-2021, 02:44 AM
Hi All,
As you know, Altium is going to move into the cloud. GUI is changing, more and more program features will be different from standalone version in the future.
What kind of functions will go away in AD2x in case of expired subscription?
e.g. Will direct part loading from Vault via MPS operate etc...? What is situation with ActiveBOM, Altium Content Vault etc...?
The workspace and managed components go away, as they are in the cloud is okay.
Thank you in advance.
Attila
WhoKnewKnows , 05-25-2021, 05:33 AM
Interesting. I realized Altium produced a cloud product, but I didn't realize they were doing this as a means to eliminate their desktop product. Could you cite something from a website that indicates this? Perhaps they say this on Altium.com?
qdrives , 05-26-2021, 12:51 PM
Most of the vault elements are on the could. Nexus is a vault on premise (possible), but a lot more expensive.
As long as you just keep the libraries and design local, then there should not be a problem when your subscription expires (as long as you have a valid license).
Paul van Avesaath , 05-27-2021, 02:35 PM
yup agree,

I am still working on my very old altium 17 license.. works fine.. nothing is missing.. you pay for updates and support mostly so they will not disable certain functions of the program but if i would install altium 20 i would not be able to run it and if you need support from altium you will not get it..nor will you have access to design files they provide..
robertferanec , 05-29-2021, 02:36 AM
I am not exactly sure how to test expired subscription. I also have had the same questions - like what everything coming from Internet to Altium will stop work if my subscription will expire.

The thing is, what works today may not work tomorrow - so maybe the answer is not so important. They just keep changing a lot.

I am like super worried, that their main goal is to make people dependent on their subscriptions. I can see it even now, some features (e.g. like Database Library support) are a kind of frozen in time and it seems to me like majority of Altium's effort goes into development and improvements of the things supporting the cloud and subscription (like A365). And I have very mixed feelings about this.

But, I may be wrong.
VUHA , 05-29-2021, 08:40 AM
I have been working with AD since Y2019 with infinite standalone lic.
I have bought 2yrs subscription (in realy 1yrs, but I got gratis +1yrs). Altium had a promotion in summer of Y2020, Every stanalone lics could be upgraded into ondemand lics with free because of COVID. So I did it.

Our hungarian Altium reseller (Computer Controls) has informed me about missing program function in case of expired lic.
They said like this:
"you can not use Vault functions"
"you can not use direct Place and Download operations from MPS form"
"You have to download part from octopart"
etc...

I was very confused after listening these informations. Altium didn't talk about things like this.
But I think AD should be full functional. But I got opposite informations from official channel.

That's why I asked this forum. I had to decide doing renew my subscription or not.

My subscription was expired a few days ago. I have choiced renew it.

Because I have unlimited but expired stanalone lic now and I have ondemand lic too, I can do cross tests to see what is true and which is not.

I can relase any seat at ondemand lic. It means, neither "Use", nor "Roam" is not used, than AD does not operate, because of no valid lic.

But if I reload the expired standalone lic, then AD can see as valid lic, but expired subscription. In this state, it is possible to doing tests.

So, I can confirm, At this moment I can not see any restriction in AD. I can place part from MPS and I can download too. Of course connection to cloud workspace is not possible in this state.
So my final conclusion is that Altium's reseller said me fake informations.

PS: I think, everybody could reload any old expired standalone lic into AD. But Don't forget to delete the valid lics before.
PS: Robert said well, what coming from Internet to Altium could stop. But today, standard program functions (Manufacturer Part Search, Part Choice, Help) already use the internet.
​​​​​​​PS: I have found conflicts under the same time to using roaming and standalone lic the same time using. I think this is AD bug.

Attila
mnpebm , 06-03-2021, 12:24 PM
I am building my PCB design business NOT being dependent on A365 capabilities. I would like to use Part Choices on components so I could create generic passives for example like:
RES SMD 1K 1% 0402. I can then attach "part choices" and not need to update the library link/part if a part goes obsolete. I don't this is scenario requires A365.
robertferanec , 06-05-2021, 02:42 AM
@VUHA Thank you very much
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?