| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Step 3d

JohnsonMiller , 05-27-2021, 02:29 AM
I am using STEP 3D report of Altium, but legends, logo, and text are not included in the output STEP file! Do we have an option to include those data as well?
Paul van Avesaath , 05-27-2021, 03:40 AM
I place the Logo in top copper and also in top solder.. looks really cool with Au plating and that shows up in the export.. the other stuff. no i do not think altium supports that.. if you do find out how to do it let me know..
WhoKnewKnows , 05-27-2021, 05:57 AM
A work around to make copper and silk layer objects appear on STEP exports is to make the objects have 3D versions of themselves. EG a copper contact for something in a mating housing wouldn't show up in a 3D model for mechanical engineers to check in their model when they import it. I have duplicated the contact with 3D models of the contact. Not elegant and easy to do for a large number of things.
qdrives , 05-28-2021, 09:56 AM
What about DXF export?
JohnsonMiller , 05-29-2021, 03:40 AM
@qdrives , I did it, the problem is that text and especially those related to ESD, no-PB logos does not show up, and also font size does not export correctly.
qdrives , 05-31-2021, 09:38 AM
Did you export all layers?
I must admit, I have never done a DXF export in Altium.

Another alternative could be to use PDF and then convert to ... something that you 3D tool knows.
VUHA , 05-31-2021, 10:34 AM
Export Step 3D is very limited. Use Parasolid (*.x_t) export instead of this. You can find the copper and more objects if you select it. Take account, copper is embended the surface of board. You can adjust it in any MCAD, or do not export solder mask (delete it from layerstack).

Attila
WhoKnewKnows , 05-31-2021, 06:20 PM
Interesting. I hadn't considered there would be a 3D model export facility other than STEP. It appears that there's not only PARASOLID, but also VRML (virtual reality modeling language) is a 3D export option.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?