| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Component clearance rule: component and 3D body

przemek , 07-21-2021, 04:00 AM
Hi!
In one of my current projects I need to match board-to-board connectors with an external PCB.
I imported this external PCB as step model and placed it in the desired position.

Now I see Component Clearance DRC between connector P4 and step. This is true for some other connectors too.

Any ideas how could I resolve this? I need a rule for Component Clearance that allows me to have 0 mm clearance between P4 and PCB1R5b step. But I don't know what expressions should be used.

przemek , 07-21-2021, 05:08 AM
I've already found the answer, it turned out quite simple
przemek , 07-22-2021, 04:11 AM
Hi again,
my previous problem was solved, but now I have a similar one, so decided to continue in this thread.

I noticed that 3D Body imported from step file is colliding with my board:

I need a rule that can warn me if collision between 3D Body and PCB can happen.

Query I used is:

but it simply doesn't work.

Any tips appreciated
robertferanec , 07-22-2021, 04:18 AM
I have never used these kind of rules, so it will be interesting to see what you will come up with.

PS: When I am not sure what rule to use, it is super useful to try to build a rule based on "Find similar objects ..." command. Maybe it can help? https://youtu.be/w9gxB6XVHnk
WhoKnewKnows , 07-22-2021, 04:46 AM
Consider that when you accumulate multiple similar rules for a purpose, sometimes you have to tune the priority of these rules 🤷
przemek , 07-22-2021, 05:05 AM
@WhoKnewKnows When I'm testing a rule I always put it on top in priority list to check if it is working

@robertferanec That's a trick I like using. But it doesn't work with PCB in this case. Click on PCB and... nothing happens I guess it is associated with Selection Filter, but PCB is not included even in "Other".
qdrives , 07-26-2021, 07:45 AM
How would you have done it in the time when there was no 3D?
Anyhow, you could place a special component, like a fiducial on the places where such collision would occur and have there a little component spacing - ie 0.01mm. You may need to add such small 3D object to the footprint.
przemek , 07-27-2021, 02:22 AM
I have a 3D model generated from an other project so just to make it easier and faster I'd like to use 3D models to check it. However I don't skip double checking in datasheets of the highest components and connectors. Principle of limited trust

You have a good idea with placing fiducial to verify the spacing, thanks!

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?