| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

JPEG Print Issue

JohnsonMiller , 07-28-2021, 05:36 AM
I have a JPEG graphic with transparent background on a schematic page, AD display the graphic with no problem, but when generating PDF it is not shown and missing. Any suggestion how to fix it?
WhoKnewKnows , 07-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Please explain how you are generating the PDF. Output.job or Smart PDF tool, or are you printing and using Win10 print to PDF or perhaps some other way?

P Perhaps it has to do with resolution of the image vs resolution of the PDF tool? Maybe try a different image or the same image without the transparent background effect? Try different PDF generation resolution settings? Good luck 🤞
JohnsonMiller , 07-29-2021, 12:59 AM
@WhoKnewKnows , thank you for your comments. I was using smart PDF, not output job, does it matter?
Also, testing it with Win10, I believe it is using its own PDF generation tool.
The resolution of AD is set to the highest 600dpi,
robertferanec , 07-29-2021, 02:53 AM
As @WhoKnewKnows is suggesting, there may be differences in what PDF output you use. For example, often I use the free version of PDF Creator or Microsoft PDF output instead of using the Altium's PDF output as they sometimes generate different results. Maybe I would try that - different PDF generator. Or are you getting the same output when you use Altium's PDF vs Microsoft PDF?
WhoKnewKnows , 07-29-2021, 06:23 AM
I sometimes get a different result from Smart PDF vs Output.job VS direct print to a pdf converter.

In general, I wanted to encourage in you a desire to experiment to see what works. Or, if all conceivable directions fail, can you get an idea what's wrong if the failures differ in some way?

Have you tried a different image, or the original image with the background not removed? Perhaps the image could be converted to a different image file format after removing the background, like bitmap or png vs jpg. I can't recall all of the formats Altium accepts.

Good luck 🤞
JohnsonMiller , 07-29-2021, 11:45 PM
@WhoKnewKnows , Indeed I tried several cases, like different formats, resolutions, and so on. I am posting a message in this forum when feeling helpless, and out of options.
The sad thing with AD is that problem is visible, I see it, but there is no proper log file to tell what is the source of the problem, at least I do not know such a log file.

@robertferanec, I am using WIN10, and it comes with its own PDF converter. I am not sure is AD using this converter, or its own PDF converter.
WhoKnewKnows , 07-30-2021, 05:13 AM
I believe Altium's Smart PDF tool existed prior to Win10 and its printer-pdf tool, so likely its own software. The output.job pdf capabilities seem to be from a subset of the Smart PDF tool's capabilities. IE You can't get as many output control settings in Output.job, but you can save the settings from Smart PDF tool in an Output.job file.

When asking for help, it's beneficial to mention what has already been tried so the people helping you don't have to waste effort on suggestions of things you've already tried
robertferanec , 08-02-2021, 05:29 AM
@JohnsonMiller I believe WIN10 vs Altium's PDF output are different.
anovickis , 08-15-2021, 11:39 PM
they (altium) do not handle semi-transparent png / jpg in the schematic correctly

I showed them a bug about year ago where it looks correct in schematic, and then you reopen the schematic and it's not drawn, but selectable
Nothing fancy just 2 color logo with some transparent background was putting in title block

Remove the transparent part and you should be ok

JohnsonMiller , 08-18-2021, 07:49 AM
@anovickis , thank you, simple BMP is working, even a screen copy&pate; of course without transparency.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?