| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

What is the best way to copy reference design to new design?

barismetin , 08-18-2021, 12:28 PM
Hi,
I have a reference design project which is a 12 layer FPGA board. I am trying to copy the layout and placement over to the new design. The new design schematic is very similar to minor changes and the part designators are different. What is the best way to use reference design layout in the new schematic?
Thank you.
WhoKnewKnows , 08-18-2021, 06:26 PM
How is the reference design represented to you? In manufacturing data such as gerbers and BOM? Or is it already captured in a tool and you're trying to adapt it to Altium?
Comments:
barismetin, 08-19-2021, 12:09 PM
The reference represented to me as a Altium Design project. I have all the schematic and PCB layout files of reference design in Altium.Thank you.
qdrives , 08-19-2021, 05:07 PM
Is Project / Component links what you need?
WhoKnewKnows , 08-19-2021, 06:49 PM
If it's an altium design project, then install Altium designer on your PC and use Altium designer to modify the design. Then output the updated manufacturing files. Send these files to a CM and have your new design manufactured. 🍰
Comments:
barismetin, 08-20-2021, 07:23 AM
Thank you for your help, currently working on it
robertferanec , 08-20-2021, 02:15 AM
If the reference design is very similar to what you are trying to create, I would just copy the original design to a new directory, renamed the files and deleted what I do not need (cleaning the schematic will be probably easy, it may be a little bit of more work in PCB). That is how we normally do it.

PS: I would recommend do not re-annotate the components, keep designators the same as in the reference design - at least until you have in your sch and pcb everything you would like to reuse
Comments:
barismetin, 08-20-2021, 07:22 AM
Robert, that’s exactly what I was planning to do. Thank you so much.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?