| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Draw schematics from Project Specifications

Linh Tran , 10-16-2021, 10:29 AM
Hello all,

I was given the task of creating schematics based on project specs, which included PDF Schematics and EXCEL BOM.
This is something I haven't done before. Two possibilities come to mind:

-Using the Manufacturer Part Search library, create symbols (ICs) that aren't in the Miscellaneous Devices.

-Make use of the Miscellaneous Device Institute's existing symbols (capacitors, resistors, LEDs, etc.). Also, for each utilized component, explicitly add parameters.

-Use Manufacturer Part Search to create a project-specific library with all of the components from the BOM file (ICs, capacitors, resistors, leds...), then complete it by copying an existing symbol from the Miscellaneous Device.

When I try to export a BOM file with one column of values, I get errors because the Digi Key parameters: capacitor is capacitance, and resistance is resistance. Is there anything more I can do except manually change capacitance and resistance to Value?

"BOM template: column=Value + Capacitance + Resistance" was what I was thinking about. I'm not sure if it's even feasible in Altium.

I spent a lot of time on the two solutions I attempted above. It has a number of issues and challenges, in my opinion. I'm looking for advise from individuals who have done it before, and I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how you would go about doing it.

Please accept my apologies if I've asked a foolish or ignorant inquiry.

I hope everyone understands; I'm new to Altium and English isn't my first language.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Any response would be beneficial.
robertferanec , 10-18-2021, 02:19 AM
If you would like to do it professionally, you may want to create every component in your library (you may copy existing or create them from scratch), import parameters from suppliers so your components will have all the info necessary for purchase, draw the schematic and export the BOM.

However, that is just a super simple explanation ...

Also, maybe have a look at my tutorial it may help - it covers a lot from design process:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...puSXz6sROQmO6R
Linh Tran , 10-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Thank you for your assistance, sir. It is really beneficial to me.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?