| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Hiding Your Components Inside The PCB

AugustasJ , 10-28-2021, 05:44 AM
Hi everyone. I am doing a project where I need to hide components (if possible) in pcb. My idea is to do something like in photo I attached. I want to do a cutout to 1 or more layers in pcb, but not make a hole. How can I do it? I am searching but can't seem to find. Software - Altium.
WhoKnewKnows , 10-28-2021, 06:50 AM
In the article, it appears the author made two circuit boards, one with the components on it, the other a cover board that had cutouts in it, and placed the second on the first. It seems like in Altium, you'd have to design two PCBs in one or more project(s), have them made, then assemble them.

There is a PCB manufacturing process for creating cavities in thicker PCBs that looks similar to this construction, but usually the entire inside of the cavity is plated. I gather it's not cheap and is typically used for specialized radio construction or high power applications where heat dissipation is critical. Try googling PCB with cavities and look at the resulting images.
qdrives , 10-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Like @WhoKnewKnows already mentioned, the photo you show looks simply like two PCBs stacked on top of each other.
Another method to hide components used the technology of "embedded components".

The first (photo) method, I would expect, is cheaper, easier and more flexible.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?