| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

length matching using an accordian, a trombone, or a sawtooth?

Tom Yunghans , 11-17-2021, 03:19 PM
Hi Robert,

Altium has a few length matching tools that seem to work quite well (I am currently using AD21.8.1). They have an "Accordian", a "Trombone", and a "Sawtooth". The "Trombone" tool generates a waveform which looks very similar to the technique you recommended during preliminary length matching where you are just creating space. You stated in one of your courses that you would change that trombone like shape to an "Accordian" in the final length matching, because you thought that was better. Why do you think the "Accordian" is better? Have you used all three of these tools? Do you have any recommendations about which one(s) to use and when?

All three of these tools create an object. It seems like it is a "union" of tracks, but doesn't show up in the "Unions" tab of the PCB Panel. You can explode this "union" to create individual segments. Would you do that before releasing the design, or would you leave the length-matching object intact?

Thank you!

robertferanec , 11-20-2021, 01:45 AM
1) If everything goes according to my plan, I will be making a video about this topic together with Eric Bogatin. I am also curious to see the differences.
2) I always explode these segments when finishing the length matching.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?