| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

DBlib library maintenance

Max , 12-23-2021, 10:19 AM
Hi,
I am usign an excel data base library which works fine with more than 3500 items inegrated.

The question is, how you maintain the database just so to be up to date? As many of you know about the PCN (product changes, obsolescence, end of life od some part numbers and so back and forth), how you have established and developed a path which allows you to adequately keep your database up to date?
qdrives , 12-30-2021, 09:05 AM
I have a "Status" field in my schematic libraries (I do not use database libraries)
Values:
- New - new component, not used (production) jet
- Verified - after creation, it is verified again (i.e. by someone else)
- Validated - used on a board and works (functional and footprint)
You can also add obsolete, EOL, etc.
I also have the status for the footprint (text in the description that a macro can extract). There of course is no obsolete...

As I use only schematic libraries, if there is a critical 'status' I put a big bright text over the symbol. Today it is mainly for components that are out of stock (everywhere) and I need a replacement.
This is for new and verified parts only.
robertferanec , 01-03-2022, 01:39 AM
I agree with @qdrives
Max , 01-04-2022, 12:50 AM
Hello guys,
Thanks fir the hints, they are really useful.

But my question was more about the process of being notified which components from my library have been changed, obsoleted or with not recommended for new designs status.. and so on.

The question aims to get a feeling of how the other librarians and pcb designers have been managing the maintenance and keeping the library up to date by beeing notified from the manufacturers of the components included into the library, not in general.

Whithout knowing these facts, you are sending a preliminary BOM to the pcb manufacturer, and the there is a big chance to receive EQs regarding out of date components. This may cause big delays in the entire process and it is something I definitely want to avoid.

Thanks!
robertferanec , 01-05-2022, 01:18 AM
Usually the people who are purchasing components get the notifications or they check EOL and they should put this information into DB.

Always when we do a new designs, all components are checked during design process, so possibly problematic components are not used in the design.

PS: Altium is quite good in this, have a look at LiveBOM (*correction: ActiveBOM thank you @qdrives ), this can give some ideas: https://youtu.be/9iw_mbdf4-g
qdrives , 01-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Slight correction to Roberts post - it is called ActiveBOM.
It is also available in the standard Altium and does not need A365.
Will this help? A lot, but does not prevent the manufacturer to obsolete a part after the first production run. That is live.
As for when a team member changes a component - I have only worked in small teams, with a maximum of 4 people. Designs and new components were not that frequent and in 'batches'. This makes it a lot easier to track.
I also have the "Engineers", "Created" and "Changed" parameters.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?