| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Spliting a signal net in multiple equal paths

Mihai , 01-11-2022, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I have a signal which is to be distributed in equal paths (180) to some input pins on a processor. How can I set in Altium to recognize or to split a signal in multiple paths and has the same source? if it is not clear, I can explain it better below;

SIGNAL SOURCE ---------------0 ohm resistor ----------------Destination 1 (path 1)
SIGNAL SOURCE ---------------0 ohm resistor ----------------Destination 2 (path 2)
SIGNAL SOURCE ---------------0 ohm resistor ----------------Destination 3 (path 3)

I have tried to do it with xSignals but doesn't support to do stuff like that. The problem is that the signal source net name is the same for all 180 paths. This is required to route all 180 paths with the same length.

I will be grateful if someone has a hint on how to do it.

Cheers,
Mihai
WhoKnewKnows , 01-11-2022, 09:25 AM
Easiest would be to allow the source signal and all 180 of the MCU pin signals have unique net names. This would give you a good chance of X-signals being able to manage the lengths. You could use 0 ohm resistors to make the connections. Use resistor networks if space constrained, or use current measurement resistors (0.001 ohm or some such) if more precision is required. You could also use a 181 pad net tie if you want to use no physical components at all.
Mihai , 01-12-2022, 04:06 AM
Hi,

I have tried in many ways to use xSignals, but it seem to not work. I use 0 R resistors to separate the paths to MCU pins, but in the xSignals window I get that the path is BROKEN.

I will keep searching.
WhoKnewKnows , 01-12-2022, 07:48 AM
I wonder if X-signals isn't capable of managing so many signals at one time. Perhaps try an experiment project with only one source signal and fewer paths to the MCU pins. EG If 2 paths work, then double the number of paths.
robertferanec , 01-14-2022, 07:40 AM
I would ask different question, have you tested this? Because I am not sure if connecting one single output pin to 180 inputs will work ok, especially if the length has to be the same - it looks to me like something important and I would maybe rather consider to use a chip which would route one input to 180 inputs - maybe a cpld or fpga or something like that.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?