| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Footprint Redesign

coffe63 , 04-18-2022, 09:33 AM
Hi, I added an IC to my project from the "Altium Manufacturer Part Search" panel. I need to make changes in the footprint of the IC I added, how can I do that? I did not create the footprint myself.
qdrives , 04-18-2022, 01:29 PM
How did you add the footprint?

After this tutorial you will know how to start designing your own boards in Altium Designer 2022 . For everyone who would like to learn Altium and also for e...

Comments:
coffe63, 04-18-2022, 02:07 PM
When I add the component from the Manufacturer Part Search section, the footprint is also added.
qdrives , 04-19-2022, 09:23 AM
Does the video show you how to modify the footprint or how to put it in a PCB library?
Lakshamana Balakrishnan , 04-20-2022, 02:53 AM
@coffe63 Please unlock footrprint primitvies and do your changes and then don't forget to lock it again.

qdrives , 04-20-2022, 07:45 AM
@Lakshamana Balakrishnan I would say very dangerous. If make a new design and place that component again, you would get the original footprint, not the modified one. Better have it all in your own library.
To me, the modification of primitives is valid if, for example, you want to remove a bit of the overlay so it does not cover a pad. But that is board specific.
robertferanec , 04-25-2022, 04:34 AM
You may need to create library where you would store your updated footprint and symbol and then refer to this footprint from the symbol.

PS: I didn't know, that when you place a component from part search into your project, that you don't have to create footprint. Interesting info, I have never tried that.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?