Signal 2
Power
Power
Signal 3
Ground
Signal 4

I have 2 power planes.
I have about 6 or 8 power supplies.
It means that each plane has several power supply nets.
Is it possible to assign several power supply nets on a plane or should I declare it as Signal ?

Thank you.
WhoKnewKnows , 05-03-2022, 04:06 PM
I've had pretty good success declaring all layers as signal layers and then using polygon pours to form planes I need on the various layers. This is a little more flexible. Occasionally you can route on a ground plane layer, or combine multiple polygons and heavy traces on a power plane layer.
robertferanec , 05-06-2022, 05:42 AM
I often use Signal layers to draw power polygons. It's not actually important what kind of type of layer you use - basically in altium a "plane" layer is negative (by drawing on this layer you are removing copper) and a "signal" layer is positive (by drawing on this layer you are adding copper). So just use the one which is more comfortable for you - if there are many power polygons which you need to often adjust, it is much easier and faster to use signal layer than power layer.

Or the other words, signal layer doesn't mean that you only can use it for signals and not for powers. You can us it for both.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?