| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Do I need to create all components every time I work on a new PCB?

colhany , 05-10-2022, 05:42 PM
I saw in a course by Mr Robert that he creates ALL components in the schematic library each time, can't I just reuse components I've previously created? and is it bad to just place the component and modify it's parameters in the schematic itself, instead of creating a new one?
to explain it better, for example, Instead of creating a component for a 50V 0603 cap and another component for 16V 0603 (like robert does), I just create one component for 0603 capacitors and put a parameter for voltage that I later change in schematic.
And I don't just mean that I change only the value in schematic, I also change part number and supplier and all other necessary parameters.
I hope I explained what I mean
Thank you
qdrives , 05-11-2022, 02:34 PM
It is best to create common libraries and use those (so not project dependent).
I have a symbol for each unique component. When changing the parameters on the schematic sheet, you cannot update from the library without the risk of losing all these customisations.

I have only two parameters which are changed on the sheet:
- Label for connectors
- Remarks, i.e. for optional component, glue requirement or maximum mount height for through hole components
Comments:
colhany, 05-12-2022, 07:21 AM
So to make sure I understand correctly, you create a component for every part even if they have the same package? Like my example in the post, if you have 2 0805 caps with different voltage ratings, you make individual component for each one?
colhany , 05-12-2022, 04:28 PM
If you may, could someone show me a part of his component library so I can get an idea of how it should be done professionally?
robertferanec , 05-13-2022, 08:18 AM
No, you don't have to always create new components, once you create them, you can re-use them. I create the components in my videos from scratch, because I would like to be sure everyone knows how to create components for their specific projects and also I can't really re-use components from my library in the video, because then people without my library could not repeat what I am doing in the video.

And yes, you would like to have in your library each component type separately - especially because it helps a lot with BOM (Bill of materials). This may help to understand why: https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...9701#post19701
colhany , 05-13-2022, 08:31 AM
Thank you very much all.
qdrives , 05-13-2022, 03:10 PM
@colhany Yes, you create a library component for each unique component.
For resistors and capacitors it may seem overkill, but for most IC and connectors you need unique symbols and footprints (if different) so why not also for resistors and capacitors?
Take your time creating the libraries. Save time with schematic and BoM generation. Allow updating from the library at any time.

Comments:
colhany, 05-13-2022, 03:19 PM
Thank you very much
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?