| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Multiple manufacturers for the same component in DBLib

samersadek , 06-06-2022, 08:12 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the database library.

I am in the process of creating a centralized database library with internal part numbers.

Each internal part number (part number I came up with) corresponds to multiple manufacturer part numbers, suppliers…

For example;

Part number 800-00000 is for an 0805 10K 1% resistors.
This part should hold XYZ manufacturer 1 part number and JKL from manufacturer 2.

How can I import the data of multiple manufacturers into a single component into the database library?

Knowing that I will be importing the parameters from the manufacturer parts search panel.
robertferanec , 06-13-2022, 07:28 AM
I have not found the best way how to handle this in Altium.

Usually it works the way, that for mass production the purchasing department handles this - based on the specific part number and its parameters the purchasing department gets offers from different suppliers with possible alternatives and replacements and the purchasing department will decide what will be the final component used for assembly.
qdrives , 06-13-2022, 04:10 PM
Let me get a clear picture on the question(s)
1) "...with internal part numbers." - Do you need internal part numbers? I would say you only need then when you do your own production.
2) "Each part number .... corresponds to multiple manufacturer part numbers, suppliers" - then why not almost like the BoM's I have seen of 20 years ago: "Resistor, 10k". It did not even have a size or tolerance mentioned.
3) "How can I import the data of multiple manufacturers into a single component into the database library? Knowing that I will be importing the parameters from the manufacturer parts search panel." - So data specific for a single MPN should be imported in a database that should handle multiple MPN. And Altium should understand it all?

These question may sound negative, but I want you (and others) to think also on the reasons "WHY".
If the component is not critical, you could go for the generic: "Resistor, 10k, 1% 0603".
However, when it becomes more critical, I would opt for a single MPN for a single component.

I posted a comment here before on (schematic) library data https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...9667#post19667 As you can see, there is too much that is MPN (Manufacturer Part Number) specific to store in a database you describe IMHO.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?