| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Assembly Drawing using Top Overlay vs. manually creating an assembly drawing layer

mtswan , 08-29-2022, 09:21 AM
Within Robert's tutorials, I have found 2 different methods for creating an Assembly Drawing. I am wondering if there is a recommendation for which one to use? Is there a right way/wrong way of generating an Assy Drawing? What are best practices?

In the Fedevel course Advanced Hardware Design > Lesson 4 > Video 19 Assembly Drawing, he gives a method for creating an Assy Drawing for each individual component in a library on its Mechanical Layers 29/30 for top and bottom assy's respectively. This sounds very labor intensive to create a separate additional layer other than the Top Overlay.

Another method I found was in Learn Altium Essentials Second Edition > Lesson 6 > Video 22 Creating and adding a job file to project. This steps through a process of configuring a Manufacturing Output Job File to select the appropriate layer of the PCB (L1 for Top Assy) and show/hide specific PCB Objects, like polygons, vias, etc.

Are these 2 of the 'slightly' same methods to get the same result: Assy Drawing? I understand there could be more flexibility using the first method, which could help in complex, busy, compact board layouts but if the Top Overlay's for each component are 'close enough' to be used as an Assy Drawing, the second method should be acceptable too?

Any insight into best practices would be much appreciated!

Thanks
-Mike
qdrives , 08-29-2022, 02:38 PM
Something like I posted here https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...sembly-drawing perhaps?
robertferanec , 08-30-2022, 04:40 AM
Not all components will have the overlay and assembly the same. Also, in assembly layer you can add more info, for example you can clearly mark pin 1 location which is not always possible in overlay layer, Also, overlay layer may be often smaller than assembly layer and you could make mistakes in placement.

I believe, the professional approach is always use dedicated assembly layer.
mtswan , 08-30-2022, 08:39 AM
@qdrives - thanks for the supporting documentation and posts. those are some great examples...

@robertferanec - thanks for the comments! i understand the benefits of assembly layer now...
qdrives , 08-30-2022, 02:05 PM
If you want, I will share the source documents (JobFile and Draftsman) so you can use these as a basis.
Do note however, that it only works if you have the information/layers 'correct'.

The 'examples' are a bit outdated compared to my latest versions. One should never be afraid to change as long as it improves.
mtswan , 08-30-2022, 03:57 PM
@qdrives - that would be great! thanks
qdrives , 08-31-2022, 01:29 PM
Do not forget to add the project parameters too...
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?