| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to change width of an impedance controlled track & why is there a rule violation

nick38 , 11-11-2022, 06:05 AM
I need to route a track with a 50 Ohm impedance, so I loaded the "impedance profile" in the "stack layer manager" and the calculated track width is 0.8mm. The IC pad were the track is connected to is 0.25mm. So I've set a minimum width of 0.25mm in the rule for this track width and a maximum of 0.8mm. The thing is Altium does a "rounding" where tracks change width and I noticed that in the evaluation board for the IC the track width changes using a straight line (I'll attack a picture of this). I want to do the routing as close as posible as the evaluation board. The last part of the track were it connects to the capacitor is also rounded, but in the evaluation board is squared and it makes it look much nicer, I would also like to do this. How can I achieve this? Finally there seems to be somekind of rule violation next to the two pads that I've routed because there are green circles with a cross. I dont understand why it's doing this because both the pads and the track have the same width. Any ideas how I can solve this?

Thanks!​
qdrives , 11-11-2022, 02:11 PM
Tracks ends are always round (in Altium).
If you want to taper the track, you would need to place a "solid region" and manually draw it. Alternatively, you could try and see of you can use the teardrop feature.

The < 0.254 are clearance rule violations. 0.254 is the default of Altium.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?