| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to change track end to square adding linear transition to track width change

nick38 , 11-21-2022, 11:55 AM
Hi,
I would like to make the end of a track square when I connnect it to an 402 SMD capacitor. The width of the track is wider than the pad of the capacitor because it's impedance. I've searched for this and I found that it's not posible to do this in Altium, what kind of workaround can I do?
I'm having a similar issue when the width of the track changes to a narrower width, I would like to make it change in a linear way. I've tried teardrops but it doesn't look like I want, is there any other option I could use?
I'll attach some pictures so that it's easier to understand.

Thanks!
qdrives , 11-21-2022, 01:41 PM
Partly in one word: WHY?

Sorry for being so direct.

It's impedance? You are coming to a component, then the impedance changes. Regardless of the shape of the track-end. Being tapered, square, round, etc. What about inside the component?

With the width of the track shown, you are probably on a two layer board. Do you think that the impedance will be any good on a two layer board. Do you think that the mismatch near your IC will turn a bad design into a good one?

What you want cannot be done automatically (apparently you do not like the teardrops either). And to my knowledge does not need to be done.
If you really want it, there are two options:
- For the 0402 make a special footprint that had pads the size of your track (or modify them on the board).
- Manually place regions.

By the way, the following is an automatic generated teardrop.

robertferanec , 11-23-2022, 06:32 AM
I just would like to add to @qdrives answer (which I agree with): If I need to do this, I make the track width smaller before connecting to pad (as you did on the second picture). It is very small, it's not really visible on the real finished board and as @qdrives mentioned, the impedance is going to change anyway.
Paul van Avesaath , 11-30-2022, 12:16 AM
i ussually try some arcs, you make them once for your connection but then you can copy and paste if needed.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?