| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Two similar PCBs in two separate projects. - Maintenance

Wlada_85 , 03-17-2023, 02:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I have one question. I have two projects, for similar PCBs. ( the shape of PCB is same, schematic is almost same just some connectors are different and there is no space to merge those two PCBs in one PCB). Projects are separated, but when I do change on one PCB, I need to do exact change on other PCB.
So, my question is: do you have some experience with that? How you do it ?
I do one PCB and import gerber from that PCB into mechanical layer of second PCB and then do placement and routing...
Do you have some better/faster way ?

Thank you
BR,
Vladimir
robertferanec , 03-18-2023, 02:49 AM
If you are not size restricted, then as @qdrives suggested, I would use 1 PCB, but fitted different components.

If you need to have them separate, I would just use copy and paste. However be carful especially about component designators, you would like to have them same between the projects (and also the same net names can make copy and paste easier).
Comments:
Wlada_85, 03-18-2023, 05:25 AM
I must have 2 PCBs. I will try with copy-paste ... TY,BR,
qdrives , 03-17-2023, 02:30 PM
Sound to me like you just need to use variants.
As long as the bare board is the same.
robertferanec , 03-18-2023, 02:49 AM
If you are not size restricted, then as @qdrives suggested, I would use 1 PCB, but fitted different components.

If you need to have them separate, I would just use copy and paste. However be carful especially about component designators, you would like to have them same between the projects (and also the same net names can make copy and paste easier).
Comments:
Wlada_85, 03-18-2023, 05:25 AM
I must have 2 PCBs. I will try with copy-paste ... TY,BR,
qdrives , 03-18-2023, 11:08 AM
"I must have 2 PCBs" -- bare boards or products?
If you can make the bare boards the same, then the use of variants allows you to create two different products.
Comments:
Wlada_85, 03-19-2023, 10:38 AM
It is not possible to be merged in one PCB (one bare board) because interface connectors to PCBs are different footprint.So I need to have one PCB with (for example MURATA connectors) and other PCB with TE connectivity connectors. And I can't have one PCB with both connectors (MURATA and TE), reason: footprints and number of pins are different ... Board is really complicated 4 layers and 2 DCDC + MCU + 2 MEMS + 4 motor drivers and so and so ... And of course, mechanics defined shape and positions of connectors and there is lot of crossing of signals and ... really hard thing ... And then, for example I need to change DCDC (obsolesce or what ever) and I can do it on one PCB and then produce it and to tests and so. After that, expectance is to do the same job for other PCB and to pass all tests ( If I passed on first).So I'm looking on way how to do it.I will try this method with copy-paste, I will have at least same positions of components that are changed.TY.BR,
qdrives , 03-19-2023, 03:21 PM
"...footprints and number of pins are different..." -- That does not exclude the possibility to use variants and a single bare board.
Only when the two footprint could not be 'stacked' (i.e. holes and/or pads would cause shorts) is it required to do something else.

But it is not possible to kind of have both connectors on the bare board, but only fit (mount) one? There is no space for that?

There might be two other solutions:
- Reuse blocks
- Embedded board array

For the embedded board array:
1) With the embedded board array you create the board without the connectors, but with all the tracks to where the connector(s) needs to be.
2) Add another PCB to the project (or a new project)
3) Add the base board to the PCB (Place / Embedded board array/Panelize)
4) Add the connector and tracks to connect it.
5) Repeat 2...4 for the other connector.

Advantages: no copy+paste
Disadvantage: Checking (ERC and DRC) is problematic.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?