| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Altium Database libraries (*.DBLib)

arthur.benemann , 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Hello, I would like to start a discussion about Altium database libraries.

As a quick intro dblibs: they work by having your standard schlib and pcblib holding symbols and footprints. But the link between those and all the associated metadata (Mfr P/N, description, etc..) are stored into a database (for instance a Microsoft Excel spresdsheet or an Access database). This dissociation makes it easier to add components that share symbols/footprints (for instance the various types of resistors).

An example parts database can be downloaded at https://github.com/arthurbenemann/open-components, which is a free library I started some time ago.

Let me know your thoughts about this, and if such open parts library is useful.

Thanks.
arthur.benemann , 03-22-2016, 11:59 AM
I guess some instructions are in order if you want to try out the library attached above.
  1. Download the repository from github as a zip file (easiest way) as show in the picture, and unzip it.
  2. In altium go to the library manager (Tools>Add/remove libraries), and add a new library via a file. The selected file should be the *.dblib on the unzipped folder.
  3. The library should now be available. Don't forget to right click at the top and select the columns you want available, dragging them makes the list be categorized (in picture as well).
To edit/view the database open the "database.mdb" file in the unzipped folder.

arthur.benemann , 03-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Anyone had time to try it out? I'm interested in your feedback about the library, and what are your opinions about dblibs.

Thanks.
JohnsonMiller , 12-29-2016, 03:09 AM
Dear Arthur,
Thank you for sharing this library, I am using a similar lib. Looks as a strong method, but still do not understand the Altium Vault role with respect to this library system!
I got two question:
1) How to start my own .dblib creation?
2) How do yo generate BOM after all?

BR,
JohnsonMiller , 12-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Just got this link, looks helpful:
This page looks at the ability to place components directly from a company database through use of a Database Library. Each record in a database table is a component, referencing the required models and parametric component data
chinmaymayee , 10-09-2019, 02:17 AM
hello,
Can you please explain me how to link multiple footprint to a single symbol in dblib so it can have footprint choices when selected
robertferanec , 10-16-2019, 04:10 AM
Can you please explain me how to link multiple footprint to a single symbol in dblib so it can have footprint choices when selected
- I have not tried it, but I would expect it could go through Footprint Ref n / Footprint Path n https://www.altium.com/documentation...d?version=17.1
ale210 , 10-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by chinmaymayee
hello,
Hello, try this:

When you are edditing a symbol, you can link a footprint using de Add footprint button, but if your'e working with dblibs, you must use the field footprint ref /and footprint path. Also, in any database a part number it has an associate footprint, like resistors. But, in other circumstancies you can also add several footprints in a symbol, using the add footprint button and searching the library file by library path field, then you need write the footprint name in the Name field.

chinmaymayee , 10-17-2019, 05:25 PM
I found the solution
in field mapping, there is an option for footpath ref 2
so we can link two different footprints to a single database entry by adding another column of another footprint reference in db
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?